Menu
obarton
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Overrun with spam

Hi,

I get so much spam in my virginmedia mailbox that it's difficult to spot genuine emails. They're from all different domains / email addresses so it's difficult to block them all. I've tried but 100's still come through.

I tried linking my account to gmail so i could utilise their spam filters but VM isn't compatible so you can't link it in that way.

Can anyone recommend any software or an email client which is good at filtering out spam ?

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Overrun with spam

@obarton wrote:

I tried linking my account to gmail so i could utilise their spam filters but VM isn't compatible so you can't link it in that way.

Can anyone recommend any software or an email client which is good at filtering out spam ?

When you say "VM isn't compatible"  with Gmail is that because you got the error message about "less secure apps" ? You have to accept "less secure apps" to get it to work.

Go to the Less secure app access section of your Google Account, (you might need to sign in) and turn "Allow less secure apps" off.

However if you are not happy about doing that you can check these spam filters out: https://www.lifewire.com/top-free-spam-filters-windows-1174416 and use them in conjunction with Webmail.

I have used Mailwasher in the past and found it to be very effective. The free version is a bit restricted in functionality but still worth having. 😉

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Overrun with spam

@obarton 

Sorry, just checked back here and realised I made a stupid mistake in my post.

I should have course said:

"Go to the Less secure app access section of your Google Account, (you might need to sign in) and turn "Allow less secure apps" ON"

doh.jpg

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos