Menu
3_g
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Over-zealous spam rejection from VM

My wife was complaining recently that she has not received some emails sent to her domain name which is directed to her virginmedia.com email address, which the senders had genuinely sent.  

The senders confirm they did not receive any notification to say it was rejected as spam.

The emails were not delivered to the inbox or to spam.  I have logged into VM webmail and changed the spam setting from 'Move message to Spam folder' to 'Turn off all SPAM filtering'.  This had no effect.

I've set the domain name now to forward emails to 2 mailboxes, one with VM and to a new Gmail address.

There would seem to be some correlation between the emails which Gmail is putting into spam, and these emails being rejected by Virginmedia.

Since Sunday

• all six emails which have been delivered into the Gmail inbox have arrived at VM.
  • four of the eight emails delivered into the Gmail inbox arrived at VM.  All four were marketing list emails (genuinely signed up ones).  Two of the emails not delivered were standard consumer addresses, Talktalk and Yahoo - interestingly the client using Yahoo had one delivered to VM today (so covered in the 1st bullet) and a later one in the ongoing communication not delivered to VM!

It seems pointless me raising this with tech support on the phone.

Can a forum rep from VM please contact me to facilitate some dialogue with the mail team, as I'd like to use these cases to troubleshoot further to see if the spam rules can be refined, so as to allow more genuine emails to get through?

Many thanks, 3_g

0 Kudos
3_g
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Incoming E Mail rejection from one use

Ok so I get this is a community to help each other but what puzzles me is about 50% of the requests in this particular forum are for ex-customers whose email addresses have not been deleted as they should have done and they have now been compromised.

Then there are other requests such as this one from @Vidlerr where the VM anti-spam settings are not working as they should (and require system reconfig which is beyond what the community have the powers to fix). It is kind of pointless to be over zealous on inbound spam settings if VM systems are being abused elsewhere via compromise.

I have an inbound spam rejection issue but using a domain name- and will flag my query for the @modteam, to see if we can get some traction on that!

0 Kudos
3_g
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Over-zealous spam rejection from VM

@modteam what next step do you suggest?

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Why have you marked your post as helpful answer?  Helpful answer should be reserved for the post that solves your issue, as it marks a thread as solved.

Go into the post menu and unmark it.

What specific domains are the mails coming from that aren't getting through?

Tim

P.S.  I do know that Yahoo and TalkTalk have DMARC reject policies in place which means that if mails fail SPF and DKIM authentication, the mails are automatically bounced back.

Because the mails are forwarded from your domain to your VirginMedia address, they all fail SPF, which means that unless they are signed correctly using DKIM by the original sending system they WILL be bounced.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I should make a note that in some cases some forwarders have been known to amend emails prior to sending them on, thus breaking DKIM as well.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
3_g
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks @ravenstar68

On mobile there is a big green tick and as an intermittent community member I wasn't aware that it marked as helpful, and there was no easy undo.  Now I'm back on a computer, it's sorted!.... thanks

DKIM seems to be good for all of the emails (received at VM or otherwiset).  Checking through emails for the past few days, I have examples of emails from yahoo.co.uk (Gmail reports on the specific email that: SPF neutral, DKIM and DMARC passed) and talktalk.net (SPF softfail, DKIM and DMARC pass). A newsletter not delivered to VM but delivered to Gmail was from the domain shootgardening.co.uk (SPF fail, DKIM pass).  

The odd thing is that some emails from these entities are delivered successfully to VM (both in the past, and in the case of one of the yahoo emails one last night was successful).  Checking the SPF, DKIM and DMARC statuses on those emails which were successful they are the same as above, so VM are treating them inconsistently.

Is there anything else to suggest looking at?  Does it suggest a VM mail server misconfig?

0 Kudos
Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi 3_g,

Welcome back to our community forums. 

Sorry to hear you are experiencing this with your wife's VM emails. We can understand the frustration caused and we want to do our best to help. 

How long has this issue been ongoing for? Does this spam issue occur when access emails on different devices?  You may also find the following useful https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-email-spam-settings.

Please get back to us when you can.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Akua_A 

Please re-read the original post.

The poster clearly states they've changed the spam settings in webmail.

Tim

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@3_g 

Are you able to speak to the Forwarding service to see if they can provide any logs for the missing mails.  I know you said they haven't been bounced BUT if they're getting a SMC policy violation error - this uses a 4xx temporary error code, which means that the sending server will keep retrying the send.

Tim

0 Kudos
3_g
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tim @Ravenstar68 I have had a web chat with them.  A ticket has been raised - I got the expected 'there is no problem with the forwarding at our end' which really missed the point, and stood my ground to understand from the ticket if they have such logs and can they interrogate them for me to help troubleshoot - will come back to this thread once I have any more info.

Thanks also to the reference to the SMC policy violation.  It's a possible, but without logs I'm not sure.  There have been no bounces, which the SMC threads suggest happens - if the SMC violation is happening with the forwarding provider then I would expect they should reject/bounce back to the originator?

@Akua_A I amended from single to multiple forwarding (to understand the issue of emails not being received) on 9 June, so it was before then - so it's definitely been going on for 2-3 weeks.

0 Kudos