Menu
BobbyP19
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Outlook stopped sending

Hi. I am no longer able to send emails from my ntlworld email address via Outlook.  I can access webmail and send from there.  My daughter had the same issue a while ago and after posting on here a moderator got in touch and was able to fix this.  Please can a moderator get in touch to fix this issue for me.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Outlook stopped sending

What error messages are you seeing when you send mail. Exact words please - not a summary. Who knows if it is the same problem that once affected your daughter?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
BobbyP19
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi, it says:

The connection to the server has failed.

Subject 'test'
Server: 'smpt.ntlworld.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 25
Secure(SSL): No
Socket Error: 10013

No guarantee that it's the exact same issue, but I've made no changes so the circumstances seem the same.  Apologies, I'm not very technical so although I've had a look at other threads I'm not sure I understand everything in them.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If you have copy/pasted that, then the server is wrong - not smpt it should be smtp.  Best to update to the recommended settings anyway.  Let us know if this helps and if not we can move on to the next idea.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-settings-change/td-p/3369438/

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If you have transcribed the error message properly then I see two immediate problems.  The error code from WLM means failure to connect to server and if your settings are 'smpt.ntlworld.com' then that is wrong - it should be smtp. That would account for the failure to connect. The program would not find the server and would report accordingly.

But the real horror is that your settings are totally insecure and out of date. Port 25 allows your password and other details to be sent unencrypted over the connection for anyone to discover who was listening in. People wonder how passwords get disclosed. 

VM have long recommended that you use the settings set out here. Try those and see if this sorts the issue.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/email-settings-for-all-virgin-media-domains

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

BobbyP19
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply.  That's odd, I've not changed it so not sure how the smtp bit would have changed.  I'll try updating the settings and will see if that works.

0 Kudos
BobbyP19
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, follow up question.  In Outlook how do I update these settings?  Do I need to remove the account and start again, or can I just update?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

For a start, are you sure your using Outlook?

The error message seems to indicate that You're actually using Windows Live Mail.

Tim

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
BobbyP19
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sorry yes, it's Windows Live Mail.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Well I use WLM because I have very little VM mail traffic (its use is deprecated now because it is unsupported by MS and may be insecure). You can update yourself. Go into account properties for the address to start.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos