cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook not recognising automatic password

alanrbrown58
Joining in

I have seen similar posts to this on the board.  I receive emails to my blueyonder email address via Outlook on my PC. All of a sudden it is prompting me for the password and re-entering the password is not working.

From the responses I have seen the inference is that I need to have an active virginmedia account in order for this to be fixed.  Is that the case?  

Seems slightly harsh given that I have operated this email address for a good few years with no issue and it does seem to be 'fixable'. 

Is there any way you can help me?

Regards

Alan

6 REPLIES 6

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Do you no longer have an active Virgin Media account?  If you don't then the Blueyonder address will terminate,

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi alanrbrown58, thanks for your post.

Sorry to hear you've had some issues with your blueyonder email address. As per the t&c's the use of our email service is reserved for those with an active broadband account. When the broadband service is cancelled the email address should be terminated within 90 days. 

On occasion this doesn't happen and some customers are able to use the email address for longer - however it's not possible for us to help with any email account related issues if the broadband account is no longer active unfortunately.

Tom

If you do still have a broadband account and you have this issue, it might be the same problem that occurred on my wife's phone. We discovered the IMAP hostname on her phone (imap.virginmedia.com if I remember rightly) was not the same as the IMAP hostname on my iMac (imap.ntlworld.com). We have an ntlworld.com e-mail address. After we changed her IMAP hostname to map.ntlworld.com, the issue disappeared.

So, why did her phone work fine but suddenly start requiring the password to be inserted and ultimately to fail altogether? Honestly, we don't know but we have 2 theories. One blames a phone software update which occurred around the time the e-mail issue started. The second questions whether there was a change at Virgin Media which required my wife's phone to have hostname imap.ntlworld.com where it was happy to have imap.virginmedia.com previously.

In any case, if you have a broadband account and your e-mail should work, check to see that the hostname is correct and consistent across all users of your e-mail address.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@alanrbrown58 wrote:

Is there any way you can help me?

Whatever happens, you need to set up a new email account, preferably with a large email provider, not your current internet service provider. Gmail and Microsoft Outlook.com are the market leaders but there are others. Thankfully, you should still have old Blueyonder emails and contact addresses stored in Outlook.

In terms of accessing your old Blueyonder account, I would just say that it is possible you are seeing that error in Outlook because your VM Webmail account has been locked for some reason that is nothing to do with the fact you are no longer have a VM broadband account. (It is happening to many VM customers.)

To check that try signing in to your Blueyonder account directly from here https://mail.virginmedia.com

If you get an error message, "Your mailbox is not available at the moment..................." try resetting your password from here  https://my.virginmedia.com/forgot-details/password  Enter your Blueyonder address as the username and follow the prompts.  Then leave it at least 15 minutes before trying to sign in to the account again and see f that gets you back in.

If you are successful, I cannot stress enough that it is only a temporary reprieve. I am only offering this advice to enable you to pick up any emails that may have arrived in your account while you were unable to access it. 😉

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you for taking the time to reply Tom, much appreciated. I appreciate now that it was my fault that I didn't notice the T&Cs provided that my email account ceased within 90 days of me ceasing to be a Virgin broadband customer. However the account continued to function acceptably for SIX years. For what it would have taken to issue me with a temporary password or something, just to execute an orderly transition. I guess Virgin have drawn the line in terms of customer service but in terms of values I'm not feeling endeared to the brand. Live and learn. Regards

Hi alanrbrown58,

Thanks for coming back to us, we are sorry this has left a bad taste in your mouth as we understand you were able to use the Email for so long after leaving us, the issue is as you are no longer a customer, we don't have the ability to reset the password ETC, apologies again for any inconvenience caused.

Kind regards

Paul.