cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook login to pop3.blueyonder stopped working - trying to login to imap server instead?

londonyank
Tuning in

5 days ago I had a broadband fault in my area which got fixed today so internet access and wifi are working ok (TV was always working OK). But my Outlook email still can't login to pop3.blueyonder server for incoming email.

When I try 'Repair Email Account' under Tools>Account Settings in Outlook, Outlook login to server fails and then comes back with message asking for my password to the IMAP.virginmedia server! But I have never used IMAP and never used this server. So of course I have no password to login to IMAP.

I wonder if pop3 server id's have all been moved to the imap server without notifying users?

How can I get my access back to pop3.blueyonder server (no SSL)? I am hesitant to start changing channel and SSL settings at random. I have been a customer for more than 20 years which is why I still rely on blueyonder address and server.

3 REPLIES 3

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try these settings and just use your normal username and password.  It may work.

POP3 settings
Host Name: pop3.virginmedia.com
Username: your full Virgin Media email address
Password: your Virgin Media email app password
Advanced settings:
SSL Encryption: Enabled
Port: 995 (this may be automatically chosen by selecting SSL encryption)

There have been a lot of email issues with VM this past month or so.  I had to change my IMAP from NTLWorld to Virginmedia.

I think the possible long game for VM is to get rid of email altogether.?  I took the "bull by the horns" many months ago, and moved all my email to a non ISP bound service, so if VM do pull the plug on my old NTL email, I'll not worry about it.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

londonyank
Tuning in

Thanks for suggestion but it didn't work. I kept the same username and password and just changed the server name and channel and SSP as you. Login failed. I wonder if there IS a pop3 server in the virginmedia.com domain? Can someone from VM tell me?

Again when I try to repair the account id in Outlook it comes back asking for password to imap.virginmedia.com which is very strange since I don't use IMAP ever.

Hi londonyank

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community.

We would recommend generating an App Password and to use those details to login. 

You can do this via your My Virgin Media account in Account Settings > Account Details > Manage your Virgin Media Mail App Password.

Please let us know how you get on. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide