cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook fails to download incoming emails from NTLworld domain

aidemnigriv
On our wavelength

I use Outlook 2007 to collect my emails using a pop3 account on the pop.ntlworld.com server. This works well mostly, I get a steady flow of emails arriving due to the 15 minute interval auto send receive. Occasionally there is an interruption to the flow but no undue delays. Today I got several new emails land in my inbox when I launched Outlook the last of which was timed at 9:34am then went out leaving my PC on and when I returned at about 6:00pm there were no new emails arrived. So I did a couple of manual send receives and sent myself a test message but still nothing, I logged on to Virgin web mail and found 17 emails arrived in my Virgin inbox and within a few minutes these all arrived in my Outlook inbox and have continued to arrive since.

Any ideas as to what is occurring?    

3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

Might have been a pop server blip. 

Switch to the better imap

IMAP Server

To update your IMAP Server settings:

Open Outlook
Select File
Select Account Settings
Select Account Settings again
Select the Virgin Media Mail account you wish to change
Select Change
You’ll see your current server settings
Update the mail servers addresses to:
Incoming mail server: imap.virginmedia.com
Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.virginmedia.com
User Name: Your full email address
Select More Settings
Select the Outgoing Server tab
Make sure My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication is ticked
Make sure Use same settings as my incoming mail server is ticked
Select the Advanced tab
Update the Incoming server (IMAP) settings to:
Port: 993
In Use the following type of encrypted connection select SSL / TLS
Update the Outgoing server (SMTP) settings to:
In Use the following type of encrypted connection select SSL / TLS
Select OK
To test your settings, select Automatically test account settings when Next is clicked
Select Next
Once confirmed as working, you can close the Account Settings window

Thanks for that I had considered IMAP before but for some reason chose not to make the change. Are there any downsides to using IMAP, does it behave in the same way as POP. I like the fact that after Outlook retrieves emails from the POP server they are retained there as a backup against loss of the local copy in .PST file, I have access to all emails going back to the dawn of time (well almost, 2002. Prior to that I naively lost maybe 10 years worth when I switched from an AOL address to my own domain name!). It is for this reason that I cannot use an ios device tor receive emails portably and then deal with them later on my PC (other than by rather cumbersome use of webmail), last time I tried my phone started to download 18.6gb of mail!

On a retailed and curious issue the email via Virgin from Virgin arrived flagged as <SPAM> This is not an outlook thing because it is the same on Virgin webmail and also the same email routed through a gmail account was not flagged as spam.

I route all emails from my domain host to both gmail and virgin mail (provided by gmail) and outlook collects from both. I set this up because I had an issue with some emails randomly not arriving and this gives some redundancy. This is in itself is a curiosity as I get about a dozen a week that come in through one route but not the other. I is predominantly the virgin route that fails!   

Thanks for your response.

It's not possible to change an existing POP account to an IMAP one in MS Outlook, see here: https://www.msoutlook.info/question/634 for instructions.

There have been occasions when emails have been deleted/lost from the server when using IMAP, apparently without any action being taken by the user, and sadly they are unrecoverable. It's up to the user to back-up their emails regularly in case of such an occurrence.

There are however a few ways to safeguard your emails:

1) Back-up your emails: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/back-up-your-email-e5845b0b-1aeb-424f-924c-aa1c33b18833

2) Archive your emails: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/archive-older-items-automatically-25f44f07-9b80-4107-841c...

3) Use a third party solution:  https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Backing-up-your-Emails-One-of-many-solutions/m-p/...

Apologies if you are already aware of any/all of the above options.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.