Menu
shiny8163
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Outlook email problem

I can't send or receive emails on my Outlook.

I've tried resetting all of my settings but still have the same problem.

I've had this problem for a while now an have been unable to sort it.

I'm very quickly losing patience with Virgin as I can't get in touch with anyone unless I want to sit waiting on the phone for 1 hour and am now thinking of leaving.

I can access my emails via the web but I can't do that on my works computer so not convenient.

How can I get round this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Outlook email problem

It would be helpful to see what, if any, VM error code is returned by the server in this situation. Open a Command Shell or Terminal window and enter the following commands where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password 2>&1 | (where findstr && (findstr  "235 VM") || (grep "235\|VM"))
curl -v imaps://imap.virginmedia.com -u username:password 2>&1 | (where findstr && (findstr /V "LOGIN" | findstr "A0") || (grep -v "LOGIN" | grep "A0"))

Post the redacted results here.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

shiny8163
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

1st code back showed VM305. (see below)

525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM305)
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- 0:00:05 --:--:-- 0
* schannel: shutting down SSL/TLS connection with smtp.virginmedia.com port 465

2nd one just returned

"more?"

Thanks

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Unfortunately the VM305 error is an indication of spambot activity on the network from which you ran the curl command, if:

• home network then see Searching for Spambots on your network
    FYI: email client like Outlook will continue to be blocked from using Virgin Media's SMTP server to send emails until the cause of the VM305 error is eliminated
  • mobile network, there is little to be done as spambot activity likely lies on devices of other users

Not sure why the second command returned “More?”, try just the following part of the command:

curl -v imaps://imap.virginmedia.com -u username:password

Do not post the result here but instead review the output looking for an indication of authentication failure.

shiny8163
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your help and advice with this problem.

I sorted the spambot problem and now have my emails working again.

Hopefully it stays that way now.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
shiny8163
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Spoke too soon!!!!

Emails are again refusing to send.

Have been on the VM website to see who to contact regarding this but all I've done is got more frustrated with the whole flaming system.

I cannot find any information regarding who to contact to solve this so my next step is going to be to shut down my account and go elsewhere.

Been a customer here for many years but seemingly after my short call last week that doesn't go for anything.

I say short call as I was told that I would get a call back at 14:30 on Monday and yet we are now sitting on Friday still waiting.

Sorry for the rant guys but I am at the end of my tether.

Thanks for all your help previously.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Unfortunately as the cause of the issue is within your home network and not Virgin Media's their options for helping are likely limited to directing people to their help articles and/or this forum.

Consider reviewing what apps are installed on devices for those that has been side loaded (bypassed device's app store) or offer media content not usually freely available.

0 Kudos
shiny8163
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that.

I tried Virgin but as you also said they don't seem to be able to help.

I've reset my wife's laptop and removed my IP address from a blocked list and for the moment all seems well.

If it happens again I'll just need to reset everything back to the day I bought them and see how that goes.

Thanks again for all your help.

0 Kudos