cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook can't connect to VM servers

Digger40
Tuning in

All of a sudden yesterday I start getting a pop up on outlook requesting my user name and password.  The details are already prepopulated in the pop up with my VM NTLWorld email address and the correct password.  However, when trying to send mail the error message says that the server hasn't recognised the details.  Incoming emails aren't affected.  I've checked the account details on Outlook and the imap details and port numbers are fine.

I can send and receive emails from my VM account via the web browser but not via Outlook, my main email medium.  That would suggest that my account hasn't been blocked due to spam.

Any ideas how to resolve this?  I'm not particularly techie but would appreciate any help given.  Having googled a bit it would appear that this is a recurring problem.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Digger40 wrote:

Any ideas how to resolve this?

The thing is that email clients and apps such as Outlook do not routinely pass on the full error message from the server.

So in this case, the fact that Outlook is prompting for the "correct" password does not actually mean that it is an incorrect password that is causing VM to fail to authenticate when Outlook attempts to send emails.

One way to get a bit more information is to run a curl command.  Windows 10 and 11 support the curl command and you can use this to test the smtp server.

1. Copy (Ctrl+C) this text string   
     curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password 
    and then paste (Ctrl+V) it into Word or any text editor.
  2. Overtype "username" with your full VM email address and "password" with your email password but keep the ":" separator between them
  3. Then copy (Ctrl+C) the whole of that amended line
  4. Type cmd into the Windows search bar and press enter
  5. Open the Command Prompt App
  6. Paste (Ctrl+V) the line with your VM email address and password that you have just copied into the command prompt - the flashing cursor and press Enter.

That will come up with several lines of information but what you are looking for is one that has a VM3xx code in it. For example:

< 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM304)

That VM  code may well offer a clue as to the real reason VM is rejecting Outlook's attempt to access your email account,

If you can follow the above instructions and then post back just that VM3xx error code it should help to identify how to solve the problem.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

1 REPLY 1

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Digger40 wrote:

Any ideas how to resolve this?

The thing is that email clients and apps such as Outlook do not routinely pass on the full error message from the server.

So in this case, the fact that Outlook is prompting for the "correct" password does not actually mean that it is an incorrect password that is causing VM to fail to authenticate when Outlook attempts to send emails.

One way to get a bit more information is to run a curl command.  Windows 10 and 11 support the curl command and you can use this to test the smtp server.

1. Copy (Ctrl+C) this text string   
     curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password 
    and then paste (Ctrl+V) it into Word or any text editor.
  2. Overtype "username" with your full VM email address and "password" with your email password but keep the ":" separator between them
  3. Then copy (Ctrl+C) the whole of that amended line
  4. Type cmd into the Windows search bar and press enter
  5. Open the Command Prompt App
  6. Paste (Ctrl+V) the line with your VM email address and password that you have just copied into the command prompt - the flashing cursor and press Enter.

That will come up with several lines of information but what you are looking for is one that has a VM3xx code in it. For example:

< 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM304)

That VM  code may well offer a clue as to the real reason VM is rejecting Outlook's attempt to access your email account,

If you can follow the above instructions and then post back just that VM3xx error code it should help to identify how to solve the problem.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks