Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Outlook - blueyonder email settings headache!

Hi ,

I use 2 linked emails with the ancient blueyonder address

Recently I removed office 365 and installed office 2013 and Outlook.

My primary blueyonder email somehow worked instantly without me putting in any settings.

However on my other linked (alias?) blueyonder email, I have tried endless settings using the same IMAP settings as main account and various SMTP with virginmedia.com and the old blueyonder.co.uk in and still flashes up incorrect password. Run out of ideas.

Then rang Customer Service, eventually a supervisor advised the call handler, that it was an Outlook issue and nothing to do with them. Gave up saying I just need help with the correct settings. Which have been working fine for the last 15+ years, until now!

I'd appreciate any help on this. I can access this 2nd account online but really prefer it back on desktop Outlook.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Outlook - blueyonder email settings headache!

@MrBuzzAldrin wrote:

However on my other linked (alias?) blueyonder email, I have tried endless settings using the same IMAP settings as main account and various SMTP with virginmedia.com and the old blueyonder.co.uk in and still flashes up incorrect password. Run out of ideas.

Just a thought but if the "linked (alias?)" email blueyonder address really is an alias of the main account it will have the same password as your primary account.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

It always had a different password, tho I've tried both

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@MrBuzzAldrin wrote:

It always had a different password, tho I've tried both

Ok, if it has a different password that means it is a linked account not an alias.

The settings should be:

Incoming mail server: imap.virginmedia.com

Port: 993

type of encrypted connection select SSL / TLS

User Name: Your full email address e.g. Richard.Branson@ntlworld.com

Outgoing mail server : smtp.virginmedia.com

Port: 465

type of encrypted connection select SSL / TLS

User Name: Your full email address e.g. Richard.Branson@ntlworld.com

Double check the Port numbers because Outlook has a habit of resetting the Port from 465 to 25.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Coenoby,

I was sure I'd already tried that, but retried and sadly still no sale!

Cheers

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

When you log into My Virgin Media https://my.virginmedia.com/ with the Primary account details and click on My Profile > Manage Accounts do you see the secondary email addresses concerned listed?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi

yes there are 3 listed:

main@blueyonder.co.uk

problem@blueyonder.co.uk

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

In that case I would try refreshing the password for the secondary account.  By refresh I mean change it but use the same password again.  This will force the relevant databases to re synchronise.  If that doesn't resolve the issue the change the password to something completely new.  It may be that the current password does not meet the current minimum allowed by Virgin Media.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

That is a very good suggestion as I'm sure it would be allowed now, as only letters.

I'm not sure how to change it, I've tried in that settings section and it only allows you you to re-type in the outgoing password.

I tried the same password and saved, error message immediately came up:

"Validation of server imap4.blueyonder.co.uk failed failed due to invalid credentials"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

You need to change the password in My Virginmedia and then reflect that change in Outlook. The two passwords for the account must be the same.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more