forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
ha222
Joining in
Message 41 of 62
Flag for a moderator

Re: Outlook Security Certificate issue

VM customer service has not been that responsive - even before C19!! After reporting this problem to VM through twitter, someone from VM (called himself 'middleman' between me and the technical department) called me several days ago, asked basic information and said he will pass on the information to the technical department who would contact me - have not heard since!!

0 Kudos
TJH-L
Tuning in
Message 42 of 62
Flag for a moderator

Appreciate your help, Tim.

I am going to look at an office upgrade. In the interim, I'll just have to hit "yes"! Not ideal, and not good running old, unsupported software. It has served me well and is about time for an upgrade!

Cheers!
Terry.

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 43 of 62
Flag for a moderator

@TJH-L 

What version of Windows are you running?

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
wunny
Tuning in
Message 44 of 62
Flag for a moderator

I have a very similar problem, which started last week.  I am using Outlook Express (no longer supported) on Windows XP (no longer supported) and when trying to download emails on ntlworld.com and virginmedia.com, I get this warning:

wunny_1-1614111502103.png

I can download emails using Thunderbird.  The Root Certificate is current and the same on all 3 PCs / Laptops

wunny_2-1614111782436.jpeg

I've tried turning off the fire wall.  I've re- synced the clock.  I've tried with SSL on & off. It still does not download emails

I've tried using a new email user, it still does not work.

Clicking 'Yes' to 'Do you want to continue using this server?', results in 'Failed'

Using Outlook Express on a PC, in a different location, running Windows Vista works just fine

Using Widows Mail on Win 10 (on laptop in another location) works fine

Using email Hub on Blackberry Keyone works fine.

It did on one occasion start to download 30 emails, it did 2 and then stopped on the third.  I've not been able to get it to do that again

All in all, I'm a bit puzzled.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
TJH-L
Tuning in
Message 45 of 62
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tim,
Windows 10 Home 1909 18363.1379
0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 46 of 62
Flag for a moderator

@wunny 

It's not just about the certificate being in date.  A certificate can be in date but can be revoked by the issuer so that it s no longer valid.  However looking at the information you provided, that Root certificate doesn't belong in the certificate chain.  The certificate I'm seeing on my machine is issued by Globalsign and the Root certificate I'm seeing is a Globalsign root certificate

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

wunny
Tuning in
Message 47 of 62
Flag for a moderator

Ravenstar68

Thank you for that,  I have those on my Win 10 laptop,

Is it possible to export those GlobalSign certificates from my Win 10 laptop, to my PC with Win XP?  IF so how would I achieve this?

0 Kudos
wunny
Tuning in
Message 48 of 62
Flag for a moderator

Ravenstar68

I've had a play, and found this

https://www.sonicwall.com/support/knowledge-base/how-can-i-obtain-a-certificate-from-a-windows-certi...

I managed to copy the certificates to a memory stick and transferred them to the PC running XP.

It solved the problem on all accounts and I no longer get the certificate warning.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction

0 Kudos
alanc2k
Tuning in
Message 49 of 62
Flag for a moderator

thanks Ravenstar68

i will give that a try

be interesting to see what happens when the certificate date expires.

i don't think virgin can expect their customers to do that and they must come up with a solution. i personally know a few people affected

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 50 of 62
Flag for a moderator

@TJH-L 

Could you have a look at my post here which shows how to extract the certificate.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Emails-Internet-Security-Warning/m-p/4628867/highlight/tr...

But select the .cer format and then follow the advice in the next post down about running certutil 

Tim