forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
ChrisG7
Joining in
Message 31 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Re: Outlook Security Certificate issue

Hi, I am not very technical, but have been working on finding the cause and solution. Husband has virgin media email and ntlworld email. I also have those 2 accounts for my name. I get the error, he does not. The only difference we can think of is that whilst he continues to use the same version for MSoffice and outlook, I recently upgraded to MS office 2019.
Does that make sense in light of your findings above?
Thank you, Chris
0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 32 of 61
Flag for a moderator

No, it would not make sense if using a supported version of Outlook.

Which version of Outlook:

• do you use?
  • does your husband use?
0 Kudos
TJH-L
Tuning in
Message 33 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the feedback and all your time in trying to solve this issue. I received 2 Windows  updates recently. One on the 21/02, which happened after this issue started and another on 12/02, and that was a good week before the problem kicked off. Point taken that I am using an unsupported Mail Client (Outlook 2007). Will look to trying to resolve that. For now, pressing YES to the question about using the "certificate" and continuing seems to be the only option.

Thanks again,

Terry.

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 34 of 61
Flag for a moderator

@TJH-L 

The problem is that it's a workaround you are using rather than a proper fix.

This isn't as simple as a dodgy certificate though.  We'd have considerably more threads on the subject in a very short space of time if this was the case.

Add to that - I sill have a Blueyonder email account (not for much longer though as I'm no longer a VM customer :()  And I'm currently able to access it with no issues using imap.virginmedia.com on port 993.  I've also pulled the certificate chain from the server.

The only possibility I can think of is that somehow the root certificate no longer exists in the Windows trusted root store HOWEVER the error message doesn't seem to match this.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ha222
Joining in
Message 35 of 61
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 36 of 61
Flag for a moderator

It certainly shows good research on your part but:

1. VM Don't use an Office 356 environment.
  2. The SAN field of the certificate contains imap.virginmedia.com, pop3.virginmedia.com and smtp.virginmedia.com as well as mail.virginmedia.com and mail2.virginmedia.com.  (They also have some DNS entries that aren't valid, but the extra names won't invalidate the certificate).

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Migz1
Settling in
Message 37 of 61
Flag for a moderator

If they are using United States date format, this is out of date from 11 feb which would coincide with the start if these problems. Any word from the powers that be?
0 Kudos
ha222
Joining in
Message 38 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Makes good sense - way forward to resolve the problem please!

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 39 of 61
Flag for a moderator

@Migz1 wrote:
If they are using United States date format, this is out of date from 11 feb which would coincide with the start if these problems. Any word from the powers that be?

Except that the date Format shown on the Certificates matches the regional settings on your PC.

Add to that we're again in the situation of "why is everyone not affected?

Tim

0 Kudos
DizzyB
On our wavelength
Message 40 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for all of these suggestions, I am following this thread with anticipation. The fact that no one from Virgin Media has commented makes me think that there isn't a known answer 🙄

0 Kudos