forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 11 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Re: Outdated security certificate

so whats the URL you are seeing this on?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ha222
Joining in
Message 12 of 61
Flag for a moderator

No URL but when I use my email client ie Outlook - I think VM technical should be dealing with this serious technical matter as the VM security certificate fails to be verified. Anyway thanks.

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 13 of 61
Flag for a moderator

what imap server are you using on outlook?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 14 of 61
Flag for a moderator

@ha222 wrote:

No! This is nothing to do with ESET. It just says ESET in that screen shot as ESET is scanning the certificate.
This was confirm by turning of SSL in ESET- Setup - advanced setup - Web and email -   ssl/tls - untick "Enable SSL/TLS Protocol filtering" - press ok = close and reopen outlook - the same error though no longer reference ESET. Virginmedia.com security certificate is outdated - simple!!

You're not reading the certificate information correctly.

When a certificate is issued, it is signed using a certificate from an issuing authority.  That issuers certificate is then signed using a root certificate.  The root certificates are stored on your machine and updated by your OS provider.

So when you see  this

ravenstar68_0-1613760163870.png

Then that certificate has been issued by Globalsign

Some security suites intercept SSL/TLS connections in order to scan the traffic BEFORE it's passed to the application.

They do this by performing a man in the middle attack.  There are essentially two connections made.

1. TLS connection between Outlook and your security program.
  2. TLS connection between the security program and Virgin Media's server.

The security program issues a fake certificate to set up connection 1.  It's one of the reasons I don't use AVG.  By doing this they essentially break the chain of trust.

Tim

0 Kudos
MJ1965
Joining in
Message 15 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Re: Outlook Security Certificate issue

Any joy ?, just realised I'm getting the same messages, read the other links but can't make head nor tail of the technical advice, is it something VM should be addressing ?.

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 16 of 61
Flag for a moderator

no its nothing to do with VM.

0 Kudos
TJH-L
Tuning in
Message 17 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Noted the comments about AVG. Disabled AVG. Got the expected "AV is disabled" warnings from Windows Security. Launched Outlook and same message about the certificate. Is this significant/helpful? 

As I say, no changes to anything on my (and a second laptop) and this message started about 4-5 days ago out of the blue. May be related to an update of AVG? Sounds like it is happening on other users with different configurations.

0 Kudos
ha222
Joining in
Message 18 of 61
Flag for a moderator

So what do I do?

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 19 of 61
Flag for a moderator

@TJH-L wrote:

Hi,

Noted the comments about AVG. Disabled AVG. Got the expected "AV is disabled" warnings from Windows Security. Launched Outlook and same message about the certificate. Is this significant/helpful? 

As I say, no changes to anything on my (and a second laptop) and this message started about 4-5 days ago out of the blue. May be related to an update of AVG? Sounds like it is happening on other users with different configurations.

Can you post:

1. The General Tab
2.  On the details Tab scroll down the top section and highlight Subject Alternative Names.

Tim

0 Kudos
ha222
Joining in
Message 20 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Surepopup4.jpg

0 Kudos