Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Outlook PW and SMTP

After many years of no problems, suddenly using my NTLWORLD email account when I try to send emails a dialog box appears in Microsoft Outlook (2013) asking me for my ID and password.  I re-enter my details, the box disappears for about 3 seconds, then comes back again.

I can receive emails all fine, just cannot send emails. 

I'm sure this is a VM problem (and not Outlook) because it does not work on my PC and does not work using Thundrbird on another PC ! 

Note that VM webmail is not affected and I can send and receive emails OK.

I am using the following settings:

Incoming mail: pop3.virginmedia.com Port 995

Outgoing mail: smtp.virginmedia.com Port 465

Encryption: SSL

Within my VirginMedia account I have changed the PW for my email account and then re-entered it in Outlook, no change!

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

SMTP Server Issue

After many years of no problems, suddenly using my NTLWORLD email account when I try to send emails a dialog box appears in Microsoft Outlook (2013) asking me for my ID and password.  I re-enter my details, the box disappears for about 3 seconds, then comes back again.

I can receive emails all fine, just cannot send emails. 

I'm sure this is a VM problem (and not Outlook) because it does not work on my PC and does not work on another PC using Thundrbird ! 

Note that VM webmail is not affected and I can send and receive emails OK.

I am using the following settings:

Incoming mail: pop3.virginmedia.com Port 995

Outgoing mail: smtp.virginmedia.com Port 465

Encryption: SSL

Within my VirginMedia account I have changed the PW for my email account and then re-entered it in Outlook, no change!

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: SMTP Server Issue

Based on the symptoms you describe you need to ascertain the exact VM error code.

Follow the instructions in message 2 in this thread to find the code:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Thunderbird/m-p/4476439#M205447

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Graham,

Must be doiung something wrong in command as I entered :

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u myemailaddress@ntlworld.com:password 2>&1 | findstr "235 VM"​

where myeamiladdress is my email address for my ntlworld account and password being my password

and line returned was blank !

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

This isn't my area of knowledge as I can't use the curl command on my system, but I understand from other posts that the syntax has to be spot on for it to work. Try a cut and paste of the command into a text editor, edit in your specific details and then cut and paste that in the command window as described in the linked post.

If it still doesn't work then check your external IP address in the Spamhause site here:

https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/

It should be listed on PBL but any other listings may indicate a problem, especially if CSS is mentioned.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Okay checked all syntax and that seems seems fine, still gives a blank line !

I can confirm re IPL addr that it is listed on PBL "only" no other listings.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Ok, in that case it may be a password issue with the SMTP server.  Resetting the password should cause the password databases to resync.  Follow the instructions below:

Sign in to My Virgin Media, go to My Profile and/or Manage Accounts depending on whether the account concerned is your primary account or an additional one. Select the account concerned and then click on Change to the right of password if a primary account or View/Change then change to the right of password for secondary accounts.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Graham,

Thanks I have changed PW in my vigin account and then back in Outlook, sadly same results, but I have produced the following :

Saltmarsh3_0-1605124771797.png

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

So below is the original repeating error, note I have removed my email ID from the User Name value:

Saltmarsh3_1-1605126896052.png

and this is the error message :

Saltmarsh3_0-1605126853310.png

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Have a look at my post here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos