Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Outlook Not Sending/Receiving Emails

A strange one as Outlook on my mobile phone still seems to be working! On my laptop I keep getting two dialogue boxes coming up whenever I open Outlook - one with the imap server in it and the other with the smtp server - asking for username and password details, but no matter what I put in there they keep popping back up and no email is incoming or outgoing at the moment. Can someone please tell me how to resolve this? Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Outlook Not Sending/Receiving Emails

@BruceS wrote:

A strange one as Outlook on my mobile phone still seems to be working! On my laptop I keep getting two dialogue boxes coming up whenever I open Outlook

As you seem to be able to send and receive ok on your mobile phone, the first thing I would do is to check your Outlook account settings on your laptop.

They should be:

INCOMING

User Name: Your full email address e.g. Richard.Branson@ntlworld.com

Incoming server  imap.virginmedia.com (use this for Virginmedia.com, Ntlworld.com and Blueyonder.co.uk addresses)

Port: 993 with encrypted connection set to SSL / TLS

OUTGOING

User Name: Your full email address e.g. Richard.Branson@ntlworld.com

Outgoing server smtp.virginmedia.com (use this for Virginmedia.com, Ntlworld.com and Blueyonder.co.uk addresses)

Port: 465 with encrypted connection set to SSL / TLS

For what it's worth these days I tend to go via the Windows Control Panel to check or update the Outlook account settings. Going via the Account Settings option from within Outlook itself just seems to make life more difficult. (But perhaps that's just me 😮.)

Here's a link to show you how to do that https://support.office.com/en-us/article/change-or-update-email-account-settings-in-outlook-for-wind... 

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you very much for your reply, however all settings are as they should be. Only slight difference is you say encryption should be set to SSL/TLS however both servers have these as separate choices (they are both currently set to SSL only). Dialogue box still popping up after testing the settings 😞 Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@BruceS wrote:

all settings are as they should be.

Ok if that is the case, you could check through this help sheet to see if any suggestions are relevant to your setup https://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/sendreceiveerrors.htm#errorcodes 

However to get more information on exactly what is causing the problems you need to turn on email logging in Outlook.

Follow the instructions relating to Outlook here https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237... 

What would be really useful to know are any VMxxx error codes that appear in the log. Those are errors generated by Virgin Media and will give a strong indication of why the Outlook settings are failing.

Coenoby

If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again! Is this any good?

2020.05.17 13:17:22 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): <rx> 535 5.7.8 Authentication Credentials Invalid (VM300)
2020.05.17 13:17:22 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): Retrying authorization

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@BruceS wrote:

2020.05.17 13:17:22 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): <rx> 535 5.7.8 Authentication Credentials Invalid (VM300)

SMTP is just the outgoing side of the equation so it would be good to see the IMAP entries as well.

VM300 basically means that the username and password combination in the settings do not match the expected values in the VM system. Try signing directly into the VM webmail service through a browser from here https://mail2.virginmedia.com/ and use the password that you are using in Outlook. That will check that you have the correct password. Also make sure that the username is the full email address.

However, one other possibility is that you are actually using port 25 rather than 465 with the SMTP server. Outlook does have a habit of reverting to that as a default. A work around is to reset the encryption type to SSL in Outlook's settings before you change the default port number to 465.

Coenoby

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again for your prompt reply! Seems the problem was a password one! I have managed to type in the correct password to both dialogue boxes and that seems to have cleared the problem. However, I still do not understand why the problem appeared in the first place! Anyway, thanks again for your help and support. Best wishes.

Highlighted
Super solver
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@BruceS wrote:

However, I still do not understand why the problem appeared in the first place!

Who knows? It's not unknown for passwords in Outlook to become corrupted.

Anyway, thanks again for your help and support.

No problem, glad you got to the bottom of it.

Coenoby