cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook (Microsoft 365) Strange Folder Thingy

RichL
On our wavelength

Hi everyone,

I use a Blueyonder IMAP email account in Outlook (which is a  Microsoft 365 version)

In my folders I have one called [Google Mail] and in it, a sub folder called Spam - note it is displayed like that between the [ and the ]

There is no Google mail associated to this account and I've never tried to add one. If I delete the folder within a couple of seconds it just comes back.

I have logged into the online https://mail.virginmedia.com/ server and it does not show up there.

Any ideas what is causing it or how I can rid of it for good?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It is likely to be a throw back to pre 2016 when the VM mail system was run on the Google Apps system.

When they transferred to their own in house mail system a set of folders were created labelled in the way you describe to accommodate the mail transferred from the old system.

It should be possible to delete these from within VM webmail but you may need to 'unhide' them first via the IMAP settings.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It is likely to be a throw back to pre 2016 when the VM mail system was run on the Google Apps system.

When they transferred to their own in house mail system a set of folders were created labelled in the way you describe to accommodate the mail transferred from the old system.

It should be possible to delete these from within VM webmail but you may need to 'unhide' them first via the IMAP settings.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

RichL
On our wavelength

Thank you so much, I’ll see if anything is hidden in webmail. It didn’t immediately jump out at me but unsure if back in the day like you say it might have been hidden.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@RichL  In VM webmail 

select ⚙ > Email > Change IMAP subscriptions …

select ▸ until all folder views are expanded

make sure the [Google mail]  folders are selected (☑)

select Save

RichL
On our wavelength

Thanks for the heads up - I checked there is definitely no [Google Mail] folder in any of those folder structures and ensured they were all displayed.

If its legacy and left over then I guess save deleting the email address and setting up a new one it's just going to be there.

Thanks again.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That's odd. I deleted the Google files on my account some years ago.

It is no longer possible to create Virgin Media email addresses so that isn't an option.

RichL
On our wavelength

Oh right okay.

For sure its odd! I also tried to move the folder to the bottom of all my other folders so it was out of the way but give it a couple of seconds and it just magically replaces itself at the top of the pile!

Oh well, if there is no way to delete I'll just have to manage it.

I didn't know we could no longer create new email addresses! Learn something new every day!

Thanks again for your suggestions, they were appreciated.

Hi there @RichL

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the forums! 

I'm so sorry to hear you have been facing this issue with your email and a big thank you to @Graham_A for their help and guidance here, its very much appreciated! 

I just wanted to see how things were looking with the account now? Is the folder still present? 

Thank you. 

RichL
On our wavelength

Hello, yes the folder is still present.

If I use the Outlook for iOS app, strangely that folder doesn’t show, but on Office 365 on the PC it does.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for your reply and letting us know. 

Its not an issue that I have personally come across so I will reach out to my colleagues to see if they are aware of how to delete the folder and update you here if we get any results. 

Thanks, 

Nat