Menu
PaulH2011
Dialled in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Outlook Express stopped sending

I could log on to webmail ok yesterday, and receive email in Outlook Express on XP (I know, ancient but so far it's worked) but was unable to send mail from OE.  Still the same this morning.  

It seems to be objecting to the password, I had to change it a couple of weeks ago due to suspected hacking but have sent many since then.  I can put the same password into webmail and that connects OK, but not in OE.

Any advice (apart from upgrading that is ...)

Thanks.

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Well-informed
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Outlook Express stopped sending

Read this and let us know the exact error message.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/m-p/32371...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
PaulH2011
Dialled in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@MissPasko wrote:

Read this and let us know the exact error message.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/m-p/32371...

Thanks but as mentioned I'm using Outlook Express and that article only talks about Outlook.  I don't have the option mentioned, and I can't find any other information on how to enable logging with Express.

It keeps asking me for the password, regardless of whether I use the remembered password (which has always worked before) or type it in again it just asks me again.  I can type the same password into webmail and it is accepted.  It's not a Caps issue.

When I eventually click Cancel it comes up with a panel saying some errors have occurred and to review the list, but there is nothing listed.

0 Kudos
PaulH2011
Dialled in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Some more information.

The same problem occurs in Mozilla Thunderbird on another computer but I couldn't find a log file for that.

I installed OEClassic on that computer and the same problem occurs, but has a log file.  A line in red says:

535 5.7.8 Authentication Credentials Invalid (VM300)

Another red line says:

An error occurred. - Connection Closed Gracefully.

So it seems to be Virgin blocking my SMTP access, but not web mail.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@PaulH2011 wrote:

Some more information.

The same problem occurs in Mozilla Thunderbird on another computer but I couldn't find a log file for that.

I installed OEClassic on that computer and the same problem occurs, but has a log file.  A line in red says:

535 5.7.8 Authentication Credentials Invalid (VM300)

Another red line says:

An error occurred. - Connection Closed Gracefully.

So it seems to be Virgin blocking my SMTP access, but not web mail.

The usual meaning of that error message is that the username/password combination that you are using to authenticate sending via the outgoing server is not a valid on the VM servers or that you are not authenticating the send process at all.

Check that your settings in OE and Thunderbird are set to authenticate sending by using the incoming username and password.

There may be other underlying reasons but you should check this first.

PaulH2011
Dialled in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

OE has 'Outgoing Mail Server My server requires authentication' checked, and and in Settings 'Use same settings as my incoming mail server ' is selected.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi PaulH2011,

Thank you for creating a new thread as requested, it makes things far less confusing for all involved!

Have you checked that you've still got the correct SMTP settings, as follows?

Server name     smtp.virginmedia.com
SMTP SSL        enabled
SMTP port        465
SMTP authentication    enabled/password
Username        “your full email address”

Thanks,

Rachael

PaulH2011
Dialled in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Rachael - sorted!

I have three accounts and although two of them were using port 465 the third was using 25.  I couldn't send from any of the accounts, but the one with 25 is the first in the list so I suppose that was affecting the others.

The last time I had problems and got them sorted I took screen prints of the three accounts and that is how they were and working.  Why that was, and why it suddenly stopped working on Sunday, or had become changed on Sunday, I can't imagine.

Very grateful nonetheless!

Paul.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paul,

Thank you for giving this a go and letting me know that it's resolved the issue!

I'm glad we've got to the bottom of this, although I'm also not too sure why this would have happened either. I'll definitely get this fed back, just in case there was a blip with one of our systems.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos