Menu
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Outlook 365 outgoing mail settings with email client

My email is hosted with an email client.  I have Outlook 365 and I can receive emails but I cannot send.  I have been told by a technician with Virgin that it is impossible for me to send any emails from Outlook 365 as I do not have a Virgin email address.  Is this correct?  Others have told me I just need the correct settings.  Shouldn't it be possible for me to send an email other than via a Virgin email address through Outlook 365?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Outlook 365 outgoing mail settings with email client

You will just need the correct settings, and these will be from whoever is hosting your email domain. I suspect the confusion has possibly come from that if you are not using a VM email address then you can't use VM's servers to send mail out - which makes sense but isn't always obvious.

Often (but certainly not always) if your email address is xxxxx@email_company.com (or whatever) then the incoming server address will be something like imap.email_company.com and the outbound will be smtp.email_company.com (and again I stress that this is common but not universal). What you will need are the server address(es), the port numbers they expect to connect on and what type of authentication they want, ie your username (often your email address) and password.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I know you are new but do you really have to post twice on the same issue, especially when I replied to your earlier post here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/Outlook-365-outgoing-mail-settings/...

You have broken the Forum rules and generally accepted etiquette and yet you expect a decent response.

Straightforward. You cannot use the VM servers to send mail if you don't have a VM mail account.  The VM servers require authentication with a known VM e-mail address. You can use the servers of your e-mail host provided they offer an outgoing mail service (SMTP). If they don't you are with the wrong hosting outfit. If they do they will have the server settings for you.

Outlook 365 is simply a mail program (client). It doesn't just send e-mail on its own without being connected to an e-mail service provider.

OK now?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Without knowing your email provider it is a bit hard to offer advice but as has been explained, you send mail using the SMTP servers provided by your email provide.

e.g.

• If the address belongs to gmail, use gmails smtp servers
  • If the address belongs to outlook.com, use Microsoft's SMTP servers

and so on.

If you are able to give us details of who looks after your incoming mail we might be able to offer you some advice.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I'm sorry if I have offended you.   I simply asked a question and tried and then when I was onto Virgin about something else I asked them about my issue (which you did respond to, thank you) and was told something else by Virgin, so I posted to check if what they said was correct.  Now I will hesitate to post anything on this community as I apparently have broken etiquette.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your advice,  I will speak again to my email client and see what they can advise.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Don't be so quick to take offence. We can forgive one breach. But I hope you get the point. The rule is one issue, one thread.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for your advice,  I will speak again to my email client and see what they can advise.

I'm sorry but may pedantic side has kicked in.

You host your email with an email host rather than an email client.

An email client is a program used to send and receive emails - such as Outlook

Sometimes I just can't help myself.  Anyway, if you tell us who your provider is, we could probably help you with the settings.  Seriously, we don't bite that much.

Tim

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks,  II am an older person and I am not too tech savvy and just needed some advice though I don't understand how what I asked was wrong.  My email host is Eclipse.  I receive emails okay from them but can't send out from Outlook 365. I have asked them a few times to help me (Eclipse) but I get nowhere.  Perhaps I can't do it and will have to think of another email host.  Thanks for your help though, much appreciated

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Eclipse mail settings here, both incoming and outgoing:

https://www.e-mailsettings.com/outlook/eclipse-mail-setup

I might add - totally insecure. Would expose your password to casual sniffing by hackers. 

0 Kudos