cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook 365 not sending using ntlworld address

croftcroyne
Tuning in

Hi. Any input would be gratefully received as this is doing my head in! I've read the various replies and comments on this helpful forum but to no avail. The error only happens with my ntlworld address, and is fine with outlook.com/gmail and virginmedia.com! I am running Windows 10, and Office 365

I have checked the email settings/password all correct. I have repaired then uninstalled Office 365 but exactly the same error message 'enter your user name and password for the following server...'

I have run the cmd suggestion with the following result (but am none the wiser, apart from the fact outlook doesnt send on the one address!)

C:\Users\steve>curl -v -url "smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com" --user *****.*********@ntlworld.com
Enter host password for user '*****.**********@ntlworld.com':
* Rebuilt URL to: smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com/
* Trying 212.54.56.51...
* TCP_NODELAY set
* Connected to smtp.virginmedia.com (212.54.56.51) port 465 (#0)
* schannel: SSL/TLS connection with smtp.virginmedia.com port 465 (step 1/3)
* schannel: checking server certificate revocation
* schannel: sending initial handshake data: sending 191 bytes...
* schannel: sent initial handshake data: sent 191 bytes
* schannel: SSL/TLS connection with smtp.virginmedia.com port 465 (step 2/3)
* schannel: failed to receive handshake, need more data
* schannel: SSL/TLS connection with smtp.virginmedia.com port 465 (step 2/3)
* schannel: encrypted data got 2431
* schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 2431 length 4096
* schannel: next InitializeSecurityContext failed: Unknown error (0x80092012) - The revocation function was unable to check revocation for the certificate.
* Closing connection 0
* schannel: shutting down SSL/TLS connection with smtp.virginmedia.com port 465
* schannel: clear security context handle
curl: (35) schannel: next InitializeSecurityContext failed: Unknown error (0x80092012) - The revocation function was unable to check revocation for the certificate.

Any help would be fantastic! Many thanks.

8 REPLIES 8

croftcroyne
Tuning in

PS my IT level is pretty basic! I can follow guidance! 

Hi @croftcroyne

Welcome back to our community forums and sorry to hear you are having issues with outlook when using your ntlworld email.

Just to confirm, how long has this issue been ongoing? Are you able to access your account when login into your email via the virgin media webmail? If not, have you tried changing your password as seen here to see if the issue persists? https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/login-problems.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thankyou Akua_A. On and off (more on than off) now since 30th September 2021. Yes I can access my email online via Virgin email, and not from my PC using the default mail app on Windows 10. 😞 Its easy enough to change to another email address in Outlook, but it has meant that my default email address is slowly changing! Any further thoughts? Many thanks , 

Best wishes,

Steve 

Thanks for coming back to us @croftcroyne.

Have you tried to change your password since the issues started?

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steven_L, Sorry for the delay, yes I have changed the password after the issue started.

Best wishes,

Steve

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for keeping us posted on this Steve Just to confirm - does the same problem not happen when trying to send via the website/webmail directly?

With regards to the password reset, it's important that the password is reset to something new/never used before via your online account (virg.in/myVM), then you'll need to update the details in Outlook as well. 

Tom 

Thankyou Tom_F, The issue doesn't arise using webmail/website.

The password was new/unused and changed after the issue started (and not since)

Best wishes ,

Steve

Apologies for the delays in getting back to you croftcoyne, can you try another password reset for us please?

Rob