Menu
donmc539
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Outgoing smtp server can't connect to server. Not recognising password

Hi I have been having problems for quite awhile. I cannot send emails from my @virginmedia.com email account. On my laptop it says I might need to allow syncing or changing my password. I have done all these things and I still cannot send emails. I can go onto my main vm email account and send from there, but not from my laptop or my android phone. Does anyone know of a fix

Thanks

0 Kudos
boothy99
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Outgoing smtp server can't connect to server. Not recognising password

Hi donmc539,

Have a look at this thread to see if its a similar issue...

https://community.virginmedia.com/virgin/board/message?board.id=email&message.id=210567#M210567

If it is .... have a read through this one, in particular, ravenstar68's comments ....

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/I-can-receive-emails-but-cannot-send-them/td-p/4561855

Bouncing around a bit, but saves typing out the same thing 👍

0 Kudos
donmc539
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for replying to me. This seems very complicated. How do I download wireshark?

0 Kudos
donmc539
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just downloading it now thanks
donmc539
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ive downloaded and ran wireshark. I honestly dont know what I'm looking for. What is it I should be doing
0 Kudos
boothy99
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi again,

1/. Did you find the error code given for the cause of your outgoing emails being blocked?

2/. Are you on Spamhaus blocklist(s) ...(((other than the PBL list)))?

I can only suggest going through Ravenstar68's description one step at a time ... I had to go through it  v e r y slowly ... but it does make sense. It's been some time since I went through it, so I could only say what's already written on there, unfortunately.

0 Kudos
donmc539
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately I am clueless when it comes to computers and so I won't be able to follow the instructions. VM are responsible for my email problem and so if its not solved soon I shall be leaving 

0 Kudos
Natalie_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi donmc539

Thank you for getting in touch with us here on the Community. 

I am very sorry to hear you have been experiencing some issues with your email. 

As some time has passed since your last post, I just wanted to check in and see if you are still having problems sending emails? 

Thanks 

Nat
0 Kudos
donmc539
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nat, Yes, I am still having problems.

Really frustrating 

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Let's get this sorted out instead of shilly-shallying around. First of all VM are not responsible for sorting out problems with your email program. That is your job. VM provide email as a free/value added service as part of its offer. As long as your web mail works VM have done their bit. Now it just so happens that VM do publish instructions about how to set up email programs, but that is the limit of the help they will provide. 

However your description of the issue shows the classic symptoms of having a spambot on your system which unbeknown to you is hijacking your VM connection to send spam. It does NOT do this through your email program so you will never see it.  But what it is doing is polluting the internet with spam.  So we are all suffering when this happens.

If spam is detected as coming from your system by independent third parties VM will not allow you to send email via an email program until you have cleared the infection from your system. End of story. Moan all you like but that is how it is. The problem doesn't affect sending via web mail because VM don't apply the same checks to that system as they do when you use an email program. Again that is how it is.

The instructions you were pointed to provide the only secure way of tracking down which device on your network at home is spending this spam. More about this in a minute. However they do require a bit of application and a willingness to step outside your comfort zone.  Analogy - your car breaks down, its a Ford. What do you do, call a garage or call Ford and then give up on the car until Ford fix it?  You call a garage or get a mate to help. It is your call and your responsibility to fix it. The "mate" you need for your mail issue is us here.

And if you do have a spambot on your system then changing ISP won't help. Empty threat. Most ISPs operate similar protective arrangements. 

I'll guide you in simple steps to establishing in another way what might be going on. Your choice - follow the guidance and start to solve the solve the problem or sulk.

But before I do that the most common hiding places for spam bots are Amazon Firesticks which have been loaded with additional software most often for "free" TV services, using a VPN called Hola (free edition), Android phones connected by wifi. Any of these are easily infected or infectious and need sorting out. If it is a side loaded Firestick full of unauthorised software it needs resetting to factory condition.

So the steps - and follow them to the letter. If you provide more information than asked for you will be putting your privacy at risk.

Step one, click on this link:

https://whatismyipaddress.com/

Make a note of the entry opposite IPv4. Keep the numbers to yourself. 

Then go here:

https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/

Where it says "Enter an IP address", put those numbers in. Make sure you copy exactly, numbers and the full stops.

Report the result here. What we are looking for is whether the result says listed on SBL and its sub list SBLCSS. Nothing else matters. And I mean that. So don't tell us anything other than the answer to the question I have asked.

This will show whether you have a spambot. It might also show that we are pursuing a red herring. Either way we know what to say next based on the results you get.

Hope you can manage this? It really is very easy. And you don't have to worry about what any of it means - leave that to us. That's why we come here to help.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks