cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outgoing server- can’t send email

EG1
Up to speed

This seems to happen occasionally. I’ve been trying to forward an email from one of my ntlworld email accounts using my iPhone and apple email app. The email fails as below. Other emails arrive and can be sent to/from the email address. 
That suggests it’s an issue with this specific email, though the error message suggests otherwise.

Any suggestions?

IMG_3623.jpeg

1 REPLY 1

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@EG1 wrote:

I’ve been trying to forward an email from one of my ntlworld email accounts using my iPhone and apple email app. The email fails as below. Other emails arrive and can be sent to/from the email address. 
That suggests it’s an issue with this specific email, though the error message suggests otherwise.

I think you are right that there is an issue with that specific email. Virgin Media do have spam filters on outgoing emails to prevent their email service being used to send spam.  However, it does seem that there can be cases where the incoming spam filters let the spam message in but the outgoing filters then block you from forwarding it!

Regarding the error message. Email apps such as the ones you are using do not display the full error message back to you. Essentially they usually just report that they cannot send the email but rarely say specifically why. Often they default to suggesting there is an issue with the password so you cannot always rely on the error message from email apps,

You might get a clearer error message if you try forwarding the email from your webmail account - that error will be coming from VM themselves. For your information, the error codes relating to blocking due to spam content are SMTP602 or VM603.

The outgoing spam filters might flagging up an issue with the domain name or sender of the original message. Or they could have an issue with a URL link in the email you are trying to forward.

The spam filters are constantly updated so the problem may just go away. alternatively, you may well find that you can send the email on as an attachment to an email if your email app offers that option.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks