Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Outgoing server amended to smtp.ntlworld.com by Virgin

Hi all

Just a query to cure my enquiring mind...

Emails on 4 addresses were not sending but I could receive incoming emails OK and these load on to 3 different machines. Found no malware but IP was on blocklist when checked with Spamhaus. I could email out OK via webmail on Virgin website but not via client manager Thunderbird. Could not see any recent T/B updates. 

Called Virgin (1hr 50 mins and 3 phone calls later) eventually put through to Virgin Gadget Team who fixed issue (after a cost!) by reverting the outgoing smtp address from @Virgin to @ntlworld. 

I assume this is a backward step as the default should be @Virgin and this could cause future security issues to creep in, although for now we have up and running emails OK.- any advice or experience from users?

IMAP server is currently set at Virgin port993, connection SSL/TLS. Outgoing server name smtp.ntlworld.com, port 465. 

I'm not a tech pro and have limited understanding...but rapidly having to learn! Thanks all.  🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Outgoing server amended to smtp.ntlworld.com by Virgin

Hi Mandy10,

thanks for your post 🙂

I am sorry to hear you are having issues, I can see you spoke to our team, were they able to help with this? 

Thanks

Zoie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Zoe, emails are working OK at the moment, but as I said in my question I'm concerned as the settings have been changed to @ntlworld which is not what we are advised to do as per the set up instructions on your website. Some clarification would be good as the gadget team did not answer that question when asked on the online chat. 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mandy,

I have the same problem. I cant send emails on from mail app on iphone. Can receive emails but cant send emails.

Do you have the details for the outgoing server settings and inbound settings ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Oh dear!

@Mandy10 you actually had the answer yourself - your IP address is listed on the Spamhaus list and as such VM will block you from sending emails. Receiving works OK and webmail works for reasons that are too long and boring to go into. The thing that you missed is that this doesn't have to be due to malware being on the PC/laptop you are using to send mail normally, any device which is connected to your home network can be hijacked into becoming an email 'sender' and is being remotely controlled to send out spam messages to all and sundry. All the outside world can see is spam effectively coming out of your home and hence you get blocked.

Now as regard Gadget Rescue, I'm sure that by a simple law of averages, they must employ a few good, knowledgeable people but overall I'm not impressed. No they didn't fix your problem, an analogy I like to make is you are driving down the road and hear a nasty grinding noise from one of the wheels, you take it to a garage and the (expensive) fix they do is to turn up the volume on the radio so you can't hear the noise! Effectively that's what they have done.

Now because of a historic 'quirk' in the way VM's email system is set up, if you use the older legacy ntlworld.com or blueyonder.com server addresses, and you are connecting from a VM broadband connection, the mail system skips the verification phase (where it checks that you really are the person you say you are) when sending and doesn't check against the Spamhaus list - hence the mail goes out. Now you are not necessarily less secure, the connections are still encrypted BUT if you ever take the PC/laptop somewhere else and hook it up to a non VM broadband connection, you'll find you can't send mail again - although the underlaying error message will be different. Probably more importantly, it's likely that the infected device on your network is still happily sending out spam and monitoring who knows what else on your network?

@mx54037 you see why just trying the ntlworld.com server wouldn't be particularly helpful to you, especially on a phone, again you will find the phone will send mail when on your home wifi and refuse to do so when anywhere else!

You may have seen some of the posts in the email section complaining about a sudden increase in spam messages trying to get you to sign up to various security packages (the irony is not lost on me) - if you don't actually try to do something to find and fix the infected device, then there's a fair chance that you are, inadvertently, adding to the problems!

There is a very good post somewhere on the board by @ravenstar68 which describes in detail what you need to do to properly track it down - and if I can find the link, I'll post it or I suspect someone else will, but in the meantime what you can do is to ask yourself 'what devices do I currently have connected'? Amazon Firesticks seem to be a common culprit - the Firestick itself is fine out of the box, it's when people see these 'free' downloads that promise to get you all sorts of extra channels etc and install them, is when the issue starts - ever wonder why they are free?

@Mandy10 oh and I'd be trying really hard to get your money back if I were you.

John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

I can send and receive emails on hotmail through the mail app also on the iphone and also on  the ipad through outlook app and webmail which also work.

But i cant send emails through mail app on the iphone and but can receive them,

Is this the outgoing mail server address that is wrong ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Mandy10 

Like @jem101 - I'm a bit concerned at what Gadget Rescue has done, as they should be using the up to date server information.

smtp.virginmedia.com
Port 465 SSL
Authentication enabled
Username - Your full virgin media email address
Password - Your Virgin Media password

To be honest though:

smtp.blueyonder.co.uk
smtp.virgin.net
smtp.ntlworld.com

Do still work.  It's just that they are configured such that they will
Accept connections on port 25 unencrypted as well as port 465 encrypted.
Will allow sends without a username and password PROVIDED the sender is connected to the VM network when they send.

Personally I've long been advocating that Virgin Media either:
Remove the outdated connection settings
Sunset the latter three server names altogether

However I do understand their reasoning for leaving the servers up, even if I disagree with it. 🙄

Can you confirm which Spamhaus Blacklist you were on?  All residential customers SHOULD be on Spamhaus' PBL but if you are listed on the CSS XBL or SBL then you have a problem.

If you are on the CSS then have a read of my post here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40...

Alternatively could you try the following:

1.  On a Windows 10 PC on your home connection type CMD into the search bar and press enter.  (Apple Mac users should run terminal instead)
2.  Type in the following command:

curl -vs smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com/ -u  myaddress@blueyonder.co.uk:mypassword 2>&1 | findstr "235 VM"

Note: The same command will work if you have an ntlworld.com or virgin.net email address.
Note2:  Please remember to include the : between your email address and your password
Note3:  If using Mac OS or linux the command is:

curl -vs smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com/ -u  myaddress@blueyonder.co.uk:mypassword 2>&1 | grep "235\|VM"

The command should ONLY output a single line if entered correctly - either:

< 235 2.7.0 ... authentication succeeded

or something along the lines of:

< 535 5.7.8 Authentication Credentials Invalid (VM300)

Please ONLY post that line.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos