Menu
cagntl
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Outgoing mail issues but receive okay. Any ideas?

Authentication issue

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Outgoing mail issues but receive okay. Any ideas?

To help narrow down the cause, open a terminal / command shell :

• in Windows 10 and enter the command:
curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u Username:Password 2>&1 | findstr "235 VM"​
      • in BSD / Linux / MacOS and enter the command:
curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u Username:Password 2>&1 | grep "235\|VM"​

Where Username:Password is replaced with your email address and password, for example richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g

Post the resulting output; take care not to post the command.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
cagntl
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying.

I have copy and pasted for the windows 10 and it unfortunately does nothing or gives me no other information?

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Carl 

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That is odd. Can you confirm if the following command produces output; do not post the output:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u Username:Password

Where Username is your email address and Password is your password.

FYI: example of output from successful connection to SMTP server with curl:

⋮
< 235 2.7.0 ... authentication succeeded
> HELP
< 214-2.0.0 This is cmsmtp ESMTP service help
214-2.0.0 This is cmsmtp ESMTP service help
< 214-2.0.0 To contact postmaster send email to postmaster@virginmedia.com.
214-2.0.0 To contact postmaster send email to postmaster@virginmedia.com.
< 214-2.0.0 For local information send email to Postmaster at your site.
214-2.0.0 For local information send email to Postmaster at your site.
< 214 2.0.0 end of HELP info
214 2.0.0 end of HELP info
* Connection #0 to host smtp.virginmedia.com left intact

and unsuccessful:

⋮
< 535 5.7.8 Authentication Credentials Invalid (VM300)
* Closing connection 0
0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Doesn't it depend on curl being installed, or is it available for Windows 10 by default?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Curl is now included in Windows 10 by default.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@cagntl 

When you said you've copied and pasted it into Windows 10.  You did run cmd and copy it into a cmd window like this:

ravenstar68_0-1602358278993.png

Note: the command line as given will pick up:
VM errors such as Authentication errors
Successful authentication attempts

Without revealing usernames and passwords in the response here's the same window but with a valid username and password (which have been obscured)

ravenstar68_0-1602358769800.png

Tim

0 Kudos
cagntl
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks all for your replies, they are much appreciated 🙂

In vain I have tried both copy and paste and with added username and password that is saved to be used for both IMAP/SMTP.

This is what I now get from command prompt:

failed to receive handshake, need more data

525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM305)

curl: (67) Login denied

On testing account I receive okay but sending fails as it says email server rejected my login and asks to verify username and password in account settings?

I have tried the repair from both my account and disc and still it changes nothing???  

I'm quite green on computers but can normally find my way around to some degree but this is so confusing and frustrating on how I can still receive okay but it can suddenly stop sending emails when I changed nothing and didn't even go into those settings!!   

Hopefully someone can help me or point me in the right direction please 😞

Thanks

Carl

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I think we can help - but it is bad news, I'm sorry to say. Btw - well done with the curl command. You got there, as long as you did it right. You would have have not got a "positive result"  with a VM code if you hadn't.

The error code VM305 means that VM are refusing to send your mail because your home IP address has been detected as sending spam. This would take place without you ever knowing or seeing it. Your e-mail program is not implicated. One of the devices on your home system connected to your VM Hub has been infected with malware and you have a spambot doing the mischief. What actually happens is that the VM mail servers check your home IP against a list maintained by Spamhaus:

https://www.spamhaus.org/css/

and your IP address is on the SBL CSS as sending low level spam from your home IP. You can check this by getting your home IP here:

https://whatismyipaddress.com/

and then inputting it here. 

https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/

You should see a positive result for SBLCSS. Other listings do not prevent you from sending mail.

So you need to read this guide to detecting an removing spambots:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40...

But before you climb the wall you could try something simpler!  If you are using Amazon Firesticks with additional and unauthorised software added or the Hola free VPN these could easily be the source of the spambot. Both have been implicated in this issue. Stop using them. Clean up the Firestick, dump the VPN and try again in 24 hours. If no spam is detected by Spamhaus in that time the SBLCSS listing will be removed. You will then be able to send mail again through VM. But if this doesn't describe your set up you will have no choice but to track down the culprit device and clean up the infection. Our general experience is that anti-virus and malware detection software doesn't pick up these kinds of infections if they are on your device.  Spambots are good at hiding themselves. They also go quiet from time to time so the embargo gets lifted, but that will only be a temporary respite. You'll be back to square one very quickly.

If you get into difficulty come back and others with experience will help you through the process.  You might find this article helpful as well

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-set-up-a-mobile-hotspot-with-windows-10/

if you do have to set up a wifi hotspot so that you can route traffic from each of your devices through your laptop/PC rather than having them connect direct. You must route the traffic through the hotspot so that Wireshark can detect it and display it.

In the meantime VM's web mail will allow you to send and receive mail because the Spamhaus list is not checked in that service. So you won't be cut off from mail completely while you track down and eliminate the infection.

0 Kudos
adamcarvell
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

mines blocked by ppl on the spam house

0 Kudos