Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Outgoing email problem

Last couple of days outgoing email fails to send. Says incorrect user or password. I have not changed anything to cause this. Is outgoing email server having problems?

i have tried deleting email acct on iPad but now it wont connect to set it up again SSL unavailable?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Outgoing email problem

Outgoing server working fine here.  As a start for diagnostics start here: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ipad-Iphone-SMTP-why-deleting-and-recreating-an-account-D...

But be aware that IOS error messages are not always as explicit as they could be.  Come back to the forum if the above link doesn't help.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for reply. I tried changing passwords to the wrong one then the right one again. Seemed to verify but still same problem.  As I have in installed account as a last resort and now cannot set it up again I think it is different issue. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

When tying to verify account I get ‘cannot connect using SSL do you want to try without’. If I say yes it then comes back with ‘smtp.virginmedia.com is not responding. Check network connection and that you entered the correct information in the Outgoing Mail Server field’. All seems to pointing to outgoing server problem or config. It has worked fine for many years without changing these settings so confused why just stopped sending mail in last couple of days!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Update ....

I’ve managed to get account re installed on iPad, with incoming mail ok, still cannot send.

i have rentered the outgoing server password, but still get message “user name name@blueyonder.co.uk or password is incorrect” when sending.

i can send if a login to virgin media mail via safari browser! Must be iPad config??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Does the account match these settings?
C00C2EDC-7457-4528-9764-54993574EB9D.jpeg

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes matches those settings.

Interestingly my wife’s account on a different iPad is experiencing same cannot send issue!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Make sure the username is your full email address.
If this is what is set try setting the account up manually rather than allowing the iPad to enter the server settings.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Also, re-read the thread that Graham_A linked you to:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ipad-Iphone-SMTP-why-deleting-and-recreating-an-account-D...

IIRC You have to make sure that any extra outgoing servers are completely deleted so that when you re-create the email account it uses the correct server details.  It used to happen over and over to my husband's iPad, who knows why!  I used to delete the email account, give the recalcitrant outgoing server a new name, THEN delete it, then recreate the new account (or something like that -- ravenstar68 explains it better in his post).

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Final update ... all now working.

so after all the advice from here (good advice and explanations) following them ie:

1. Re entering passwords on smtp outgoing server.

2. Deleting account and smtp server.

3. Resetting my password under my virgin media profile (annoying because could remember it well!)

... nothing above solved the problem on my or my wife’s email account outgoing email issue.

So the solution .... just wait ...!! I have had this before for 12hours but never over 48hours. My ‘theory’ is something went wrong in the background with virginmedia’s server, but it was the weekend, possibly with more critical issues to resolve, but come Monday morning with a full workforce someone has noticed the issues and resolved it. Won’t ever know why or how but now working!

so my advice is if you’ve not changed anything and it just stops sending for no apparent reason then do nothing for 24hrs at least and see if it resolves itself.

many thanks to all the suggestions and all useful knowledge sharing.

Tony