Menu
Pro-av-control
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Our emails been hacked, please help, children’s photos...

Hello, can anyone at virgin please help? Our email has been hacked by a guy in Egypt and is telling us that he has photos of us as a family and our children and wants to do vile stuff with them unless we pay!! 

I really want someone to stop this mailbox from working so this person cannot keep doing this, it’s really really creepy!! 

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Our emails been hacked, please help, children’s photos...

I appreciate that this type of message can be very disturbing.  However, in the majority of cases they are hoax messages.

The perpetrator is trying to scare you into handing over personal details.

Just ignore and they will go away, but sadly are likely to move another potential target.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Pro-av-control
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello and Thank you for responding. Unfortunately you are incorrect, he has sent our own family’s photos to our business email address, from my wife’s personal blueyonder email address just today.

I really would like someone at 3rd line support to replace the mailboxes password or delete the mail box all together. I would ideally like to keep the email address as it’s just my wife’s name @ ... 

but this is a very serious issue

thank you

0 Kudos
Tom_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Pro-av-control, thanks for getting in touch - really sorry to hear about what's happened.

As long as you're able to pass a security check on the account then we may be able to reset the password, failing that we can ultimately raise an IT ticket to have the mailbox deleted.

I'll get in touch via PM so we can confirm the details and try to help further.

Tom

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Pro-av-control wrote:

he has sent our own family’s photos to our business email address, from my wife’s personal blueyonder email address just today.

I really would like someone at 3rd line support to replace the mailboxes password or delete the mail box all together. I would ideally like to keep the email address as it’s just my wife’s name @ ... 

but this is a very serious issue

It is an extremely serious issue and clearly you need to get the police involved. Hopefully Virgin Media have procedures in place for these situations. If you have not contacted the authorities already I would suggest reporting this to Action Fraud  https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/  or 0300 123 2040.

I would make a few points though:

• Replacing the VM mailboxes is just the start. I would strongly suggest that you should move over to a more secure email provider. Gmail https://support.google.com/mail/answer/56256?hl=en  and Outlook.com https://outlook.live.com/owa/  are the market leaders but there are many others.  However, if you decide to stick with VM email accounts.I would strongly suggest that your wife gets a completely new account. The hacker will move heaven and earth to get back into your wife's VM account once he realises that the password has been changed and personally I would not rely on VM's security to keep home out.
  • Obviously, you have considered where the family photos were obtained from. My concern would be that they have been picked up from another online source, one of your social media accounts or Instagram for example. If they did, then there is another set of actions you need to take to secure or, ideally close, those accounts as well.

I really hope you can get this resolved so that you and your family can move on from it.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Pro-av-control
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The source for the photos is the mailbox, as we are not on any social media platforms! 

we are probably one a few left who don’t feel the need to share with people where we are, what we’ve been doing and what we had for dinner!!

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Pro-av-control wrote:

The source for the photos is the mailbox, as we are not on any social media platforms!

At least that is one less thing to worry about. If you rely on email to keep in touch with family and friends it's all the more reason to move to a more secure email service. Personally, I only use VM email for communication from VM themselves.

I have steered clear of social media too, so I'm pleased to know I'm not alone.👍

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos