Menu
fireskull
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Orphaned email - Password Reset?

Hi,

I am a VM customer and have been since ntlworld days, I have an old ntlworld email account which was on my dads VM account and when he closed his account I opened up my own VM account and talked to tech support (This was 2-3 years ago) and they said they could move my ntlworld email to be associated with my new VM account, which I assumed happened as the account has still be active ever since, but now as many probably millions have with account info leaked (Checked on https://haveibeenpwned.com/) it seems my ntlworld email account is compromised, I came to try and reset the password and says account doesn't exist, so looking on the forum here it seems that my old ntlworld email is now an orphaned account, and was not transferred over for me.
The hackers have been trying to reset my passwords on sites like microsoft etc and I have since changed all those accounts to new emails and turned on two step verification on everything I can but occasionally I still get some password reset emails coming through on old legacy accounts, hard to remember where I might still have accounts when I have had the email address for maybe 15 years or older, and judging by some of the return notice mails the account must be used as some relay for the hackers also.

Ideally I would like to keep the account and reset the password but if that's not possible closing it asap would be better to stop them getting into any other old logins of mine or using it to spread more spam!

Thanks

Paul

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Orphaned email - Password Reset?

Hi there Fireskull. 

Welcome to the forums and that you for your post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues there. 

Would you be able to provide the NTL email address so that we can see if the email address is still active at this end? 

At this point I would also advise to run a full Virus scan, Running full virus scans across any devices that have had access to the compromised email account should pick up most pieces of malware that either harvest details from an infected device or use the device itself to send spam.

Thanks 

Zak 

fireskull
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Zak,

Thanks for responding, PM sent with email address, have ran all antivirus scans already, I only ever used the account via my iPhone, it was only when I came to log onto webmail to reset the password that I found out the account doesn't exist.

Thanks

Paul
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much for that.

I do apologises I though i had privet messaged you regarding the email. 

Thank you for being pro active and sending me the PM. 

I will reply to that shortly 

Thanks 

Zak 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi - if I may stick my nose in here

reading this part:

I am a VM customer and have been since ntlworld days, I have an old ntlworld email account which was on my dads VM account and when he closed his account I opened up my own VM account and talked to tech support (This was 2-3 years ago) and they said they could move my ntlworld email to be associated with my new VM account,

You were possibly given improper information - when you say you spoke to Tech support 2-3- years ago, i'm assuming this was first line phone support.

Individual email addresses cannot be moved from one account to another, this down to the fact that it's the primary account holder that creates any secondary addresses used on the account, they are actually the email administrator for all sub accounts with the power to delete and/or change passwords.  The whole set of emails can be moved across doing a Move and Transfer - but it doesn't sound from your wording that this is what happened.  This would have had to have been approved by your father as it would have made his email address the primary email for your Virgin Media account.

Likewise the request to delete any sub accounts has to come from the main account holder - i.e. your father as it is he who is the administrator for the sub accounts, no matter who is currently using them.  So you would need him to contact Virgin Media (preferably via the Forum) to resolve the issue.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

fireskull
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tim,

Correct but I 'think' my email was the primary on the account as he never had or used email with NTL or Virgin, I think a move and transfer was done (Or not as it seems) we did everything over the phone and my father did the approval.
If needed I can of course get him to confirm anything needed and can provide the VM account numbers the email addresses were on.

Thanks
Paul
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I'm not a Virgin Media employee, based on your reply I'm going to leave this in Zak's hands now.  If there is an issue he'll let you know.  I just wanted to try and get some clarify any possible issue that might crop up, as we've seen a couple of issues with accounts managed by ex partners before now.  Which as you can imagine can be messy when a break up has been acrimonious.

:~ 

My apologies if I spoke out of turn.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

fireskull
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Haha no worries Tim, I can imagine it can get messy, funny thing thought the reason I came to take on the account is my parents got divorced and I purchased the house off them in the split and I wanted to keep on VM at the property!

Paul
0 Kudos