Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Old virginmedia e mail

Trying to access my old virgin.net e-mail address but it wont let me sign in to it and when i try forgotten password it says the name is not a valid one.

The account is still operating because I am still getting e-mails from it

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Old virginmedia e mail

Hello Ron3

Are you a current VM broadband customer? If you type in the address at mailtester.com what result do you get? Don't tell us the address, just the result.

The advice the community can give depends on knowing those two pieces of information.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

mailtester says the virgin.net e-mail address is good, and I still receive emails to this address as recently as today
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

and the answer to my first question?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

oops
Yes i had the virgin.net account when on landline, then I upgraded to cable bb and got a new virginmedia a email address.
I use both of them for different things.
Periodicaly I go into them via the web site to clear all the old rubbish out.
Tried to do it today and could not access the virgin.net.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Then I am going to guess that the virgin.net address was never attached to your billing account, and so is an orphan address.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073/

Also I am going to guess that you are trying to access via webmail.  Webmail access is the first thing to close, although the email mailbox may still exist in virgin's servers, hence it shows as valid in mailtester.  You can probably continue to access the address using an email client, but the mailbox could be deleted at any time, or be hacked by any one who can guess the password. Then your personal and financial details could be stolen and your friends and family spammed.

Please log into your billing account and see if the address is showing in the my profile or manage accounts tabs (see photos below)

If not showing in your billing account and you want to get permanent access to it, you can possibly ask VM to perform a Move & Transfer (not guaranteed to be available).  But this will delete any existing email addresses you have - the email addresses are known as a profile and have to stick together.  This is for data security purposes (IMO).

So the best thing may be for you to back up any thing you have in the virgin.net email system, get working on transferring anything you need to other email addresses (preferably non-ISP and better security so you don't have to do this again if you move ISP).  THEN ask VM to permanently delete the mailbox to save you the agony of being hacked.

my services.pngnew account.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

yeah shame that, will have to notify loads of people of the new address, a pain but heh hoh.

Merry xmas
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Merry Christmas to you as well.  It is best to know the worst now and have time to deal with it, rather than find it is suddenly gone and you can't update your amazon account or whatever.  It happens to loads of people who come to this forum every week.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Backing-up-your-Emails-One-of-many-solutions/m-p/...

0 Kudos