Menu
Zenthaiv
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Old "Deleted" Virgin Media account hacked.

Hello, 

I need help as my old virginmedia email account has been used by a hacker. I cannot login to the virginmedia website with the account as virgin media apparently deleted the email after I stopped being a customer a years ago so the login page just says "We didn't recognise the username or password you entered. Please try again."  However, you can still log into the account on Outlook through an "IMAP server" which is how I think the hacker has access.

Is there any way that I can change the password on the account or get it deleted fully?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Old "Deleted" Virgin Media account hacked.

@Zenthaiv wrote:

Is there any way that I can change the password on the account or get it deleted fully?

You cannot change the password but one of the Forum Team (VM employees) can arrange to get the account fully deleted for you.

On of them should pick upon your post in the next day or so and contact you via this thread. They will take your details using the private message (PM) facility.

Regarding the hacker. Just be aware that it is possible to 'spoof' an address. In other words send send an email that appears to come from one email address  but which actually comes from another.  If someone is spoofing your address, to send out spam for example, they will still be able to do that even after the account itself has been closed.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Zenthaiv
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I'll wait for a response.
0 Kudos
Serena_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Zenthaiv,

Welcome to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Thank you for making your first post regarding your concerns that your old Virgin email address has been hacked.

I would like to look into getting the email account fully deleted for you or changing the password, firstly: was this a primary email account? Please bear in mind that primary email accounts cannot be fully deleted.

I will send you a private message now to obtain the details needed to look into what we can do further regarding this email issue. Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right corner.

Best wishes,

Serena

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Serena_C wrote:

Hi @Zenthaiv,

I would like to look into getting the email account fully deleted for you or changing the password, firstly: was this a primary email account? Please bear in mind that primary email accounts cannot be fully deleted

HI Serena

I hesitate to come back on this, I am just trying to be helpful.😉

I know that primary email accounts on live broadband accounts cannot be deleted but I do not think that restriction applies to ex customers' accounts such as @Zenthalv.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Serena_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi @coenoby

Thanks for this, I always appreciate the help! I have checked and it does not apply to ex customers accounts 🙂 thanks for clarifying.

Best wishes,

Serena