cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old ntlworld email

HelenBR
Joining in

My elderly father still uses an old ntlworld domain name although he no longer has a Virgin account (he cannot get Virgin services where he now lives). Recently, he stopped receiving emails and he can now no longer send emails. He has access to old emails on his phone but when we try and log in from the web on another device, the account doesn't exist.

He doesn't really want to set up a new email but he hasn't been able to access help from Virgin as he doesn't have an account number. Is there anything he can do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@HelenBR wrote:

He doesn't really want to set up a new email but he hasn't been able to access help from Virgin as he doesn't have an account number. Is there anything he can do?

Sorry to say this but there really isn't anything he can do.

In order to use a Virgin Media email account you have to be a VM broadband customer. VM do allow email accounts to be used for 90 days after the broadband account has been closed but there is no way to ensure continued use of, or support for, the email accounts beyond that.

In reality it usually takes VM longer than 90 days to get round to deleting orphan email accounts. It would not surprise me if your father has been using this email account for several years since he moved. Sadly it seems VM have finally caught up with it.

Even if you could regain access to the email account right now it could disappear again at any time.  The best option is to open a new email account preferable with a dedicated email provider rather than another broadband provider,  Here is a link to give you an idea of what's available https://www.lifewire.com/best-free-email-accounts 

Just to validate what I have said about VM's policy regarding email accounts, here is a link to their T&C's  the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services#broadband  - see  Section D paragraph  6

Sorry to be the bearer of bade news.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

1 REPLY 1

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@HelenBR wrote:

Sorry to say this but there really isn't anything he can do.

In order to use a Virgin Media email account you have to be a VM broadband customer. VM do allow email accounts to be used for 90 days after the broadband account has been closed but there is no way to ensure continued use of, or support for, the email accounts beyond that.

In reality it usually takes VM longer than 90 days to get round to deleting orphan email accounts. It would not surprise me if your father has been using this email account for several years since he moved. Sadly it seems VM have finally caught up with it.

Even if you could regain access to the email account right now it could disappear again at any time.  The best option is to open a new email account preferable with a dedicated email provider rather than another broadband provider,  Here is a link to give you an idea of what's available https://www.lifewire.com/best-free-email-accounts 

Just to validate what I have said about VM's policy regarding email accounts, here is a link to their T&C's  the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services#broadband  - see  Section D paragraph  6

Sorry to be the bearer of bade news.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks