cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old ntlworld email addresses, unable to add secondary email account to any new device

thelawman999
Joining in

I can see its been posted about several times here. I have had the account for 22 years, I kept the old ntlworld email addresses i.e., mine and wife's (hers was secondary email account) when business transferred to Virgin. 

My email still works fine and adds to new devices (I am the primary account holder), hers continues to work on existing devices, but email account cannot be added to new devices, stating password is incorrect. 

I can see from searching there are no options to reset passwords for old ntlworld accounts, wondering if there is something Virgin can do? 

13 REPLIES 13

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@thelawman999 wrote:

I can see from searching there are no options to reset passwords for old ntlworld accounts,

Like virginmedia.com, blueyonder.co.uk and virgin.net email accounts, as long as your ntlworld account is still linked to a live VM broadband contract you should have no problem managing it and resetting the password.

However, if you no longer have a VM broadband account then VM may well be in the first stages of deleting your email accounts.  According to VM's Broadband Terms and Conditions, 90 days after a broadband account has closed VM should delete all email accounts linked to it. In reality they often left them open for years but they are finally catching up on their housekeeping!

The following all assumes that you still have a VM broadband account and the problem Ntlworld email account or accounts are still linked to it.

Over the last year or so VM have made a number of changes to the whole password reset process.

All VM accounts, even secondary email accounts, now have their own My Virgin Media (MVM0 account. So to reset your Ntlworld email account you will need to log its MVM account.

Sign in from this link https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn  using your Ntlworld email address and existing password.

Once in the MVM account go to  Account settings   then Account details .

Scroll down to Password Details  click on Edit on the right hand side and follow the instructions

You will need to change your sign in email address to a non Virgin Media email address. This will be the address that VM will send the Verification code to reset your Ntlworld account. You will need to use that non VM email address to sign into your VM webmail account. However your VM email address itself will not be changed.

"My email still works fine and adds to new devices (I am the primary account holder), hers continues to work on existing devices, but email account cannot be added to new devices, stating password is incorrect."

Presumably when you say "add to new devices" you mean setting up the email account in a email app or client.

It sounds as if either her account:

• is not linked to a VM broadband account and is in the course of being deleted (as I referred to earlier).   or 
  • it has fallen foul of another change VM have made to improve the security of their email accounts. VM now requires you to use an app specific password rather than the webmail password in your email apps and clients.

Assuming it is just a password issue, a mail app password can be generated in the MVM .  Sign into MVM using the affected email address and password, then:

Go to Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management and follow the instructions,

Once you generate a mail app password fro a VM email account you then need to use it in all your email apps or clients which access that email account.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

thanks for all that but it hasnt helped. I don't think I was very clear about the origin of the email address..it was a secondary one that I set up for my Mrs when we had Ntlworld. then Virgin took over and I opted for both email addresses to stay as ntlworld. Mine is the main account email address and my wifes appears nowhere on the account (it won't it was a secondary one under my ntlworld account) so there is no way to reset the password, even though the one i'm using is correct. 

I cannot log into the secondary email as a separate MVM account - it doesn't recognise the password. I have the secondary email account on my main PC but its the only working device that she can access her emails on (she wants them on her phone) but we are unable to link her email address to any app or mail account on any new device. 

sounds like its lost forever. 

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@thelawman999 wrote:

thanks for all that but it hasnt helped. I don't think I was very clear about the origin of the email address..it was a secondary one that I set up for my Mrs when we had Ntlworld. then Virgin took over and I opted for both email addresses to stay as ntlworld.

I understand completely because that is exactly the same situation as myself. I have an Ntlworld primary account from pre VM days and subsequently set up several secondary accounts, some Ntlworld and some virginmedia.com. By the way, I think Virgin were surprised that everyone wanted to stick with their original Ntlworld and Blueyonder addresses!

Mine is the main account email address and my wifes appears nowhere on the account (it won't it was a secondary one under my ntlworld account)

All secondary accounts definitely should appear in the Primary MVM account. You should check that out like this

• Sign in to your primary MVM account here https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media using your primary Ntlworld email address and password,
  • Go to the  Account details page
  • Scroll down that page and click on Manage other My Virgin Media accounts

You will see a list of all secondary email accounts linked to your VM account. Is her email address there?

If it is not listed there then either:

• it was never actually linked to your main VM (Ntlworld) account which is strange if you set it up from your primary account,
  • or it was originally linked but has been detached for some reason, Again that would be strange,

"I cannot log into the secondary email as a separate MVM account - it doesn't recognise the password."

As long as you are still a VM broadband customer then the VM Forum Team (VM staff) can check this out for you. One of them will be contacting via this forum thread hopefully today.

I don't think that you have mentioned whether you still have VM broadband but if you can confirm that and also confirm whether your wife's secondary email account is listed in your MVM account I will try to expedite matters for you with the Forum Team.

"sounds like its lost forever. "

Don't give up just yet.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Nashga
Joining in

Hi, I just posted this on my original query it may help explain things. Dont know how to link posts/replies.

"how to set up MyVirginMedia accounts for secondary email accounts."

Hi, just spent half an hour with the support team agent.

Turns out that as I have 5 virginmedia/ntlworld accounts as secondary accounts I need 5 EXTERNAL email addresses to set up 5 MyVirginMedia accounts to login to that will then allow me to manage password changes for these secondary accounts.

As part of the process setting up this capability it seems you need to reset the app password for that secondary account before you can then reset the 'normal' password for webmail use.

As you can imagine I have only done this for one of the secondary accounts so far.

This is the most illogical and downright irritating system for changing passwords I have ever come across on any of the systems I have ever used in my 40+ years in IT. It is not documented on the virginmedia website as far as I can see, as far as I know no customer notification of such changes has been issued, and it seems customers will only learn of it is they try to change 'normal' webmail passwords or app passwords. I don't believe that they have yet informed customers that they have now implemented a requirement for app passwords for using email clients or have documented it on the website. I suspect that is why there are so many 'email account locked' and 'password change' problems showing up.

Sorry if this seems like a rant - the only reason that I can think of for requiring customers to set up external email accounts in this fashion is to drive migration away from virginmedia email without actually being up front about it.

Why would I go to the trouble of setting up multiple external email accounts and then not using them except to change the occasional virginmedia email password.

I'm really **bleep** off at the moment.

I agree with your comments, my wife's email account (ntlworld.com), a secondary account has now been locked out for two weeks and despite three hours of phone calls to customer services and raising two fault tickets, which has had zero response back to me from Virgin,at no time has it been mentioned that you need a separate MyVM login for the secondary accounts, separate to the password used for the app password to be able to reset the password for the locked out email. We do not have a separate MyVM login for the secondary account as far as I'm aware but maybe we do. If that is the case why cannot the helpdesk sort out the problem, there would appear to many customers with the same problem if reading the community forums is anything to go by. I'll have another good at the helpdesk tomorrow

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@lawto 

Not arguing with anything you say in your post but re your comment "We do not have a separate MyVM login for the secondary account as far as I'm aware but maybe we do."

In fact for quite a while now all VM secondary email accounts automatically have their MVM account.

To access it you use the usual link to sign into your Primary MVM account (I use https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media ) and enter the secondary email address and its current password.

If the issue you were having was passed on to one of the technical teams that information may not help you. However, it would still be worth trying it out to see if you can reset the password yourself.

Sorry if it does not help you but at least now you know.😚

Coenoby

lawto
Joining in

Thank you for the information that has clarified things for me, I had not appreciated that things had changed and the secondary accounts had their own login for MyVM separate to the password used to access the email account via third party apps. I have another secondary account which is working fine and I just tested that and it is the same password for it's MyVM and app password.

However when I try to login, as you suggest, to my wife's secondary MyVM account it tells me the password is incorrect so I cannot access her account to reset the app password. I'll try the helpdesk again.

Thank you for your input

Dave

lawto
Joining in

Problem solved. Armed with the information provided here and other similar threads I contacted support again and was able to ask the right questions and have the MyVM password reset. Asking the right questions I found out that the username for the login to MyVM for my wife's account was not what I thought but had been changed back last June, thought that was just for a recovery email. Armed with the correct login details and reset password I could then access MyVM and successfully reset the app password. I would like to thank all those who's input helped me.

Hi lawto,

Thanks for the update - really pleased to hear you've sussed it out. 

If you do need any further help, please don't hesitate to get back in touch.

Beth