Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Old ntlworld email address inaccessible but not deleted

Hi. I was originally an ntlworld customer and used my ntlworld email as my main email address for several years. I then moved to BT but my ntlworld email continued to work for a while. Then, about two years ago, I couldn't log in to my ntlworld account anymore (as I was expecting).

The problem I have is that many people continue to send me emails on this old ntlworld email address and they do not receive a postmaster response to say that this email address is no longer valid.

I rejoined Virgin Media about a year ago, so I am a current customer.

How can I make sure that this old ntlworld email address is fully deleted?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Old ntlworld email address inaccessible but not deleted

First, please check the address in mailtester.com.  Does it show as valid or invalid?  If invalid, nothing needs to be done.

If VALID, you have two choices:

1. Delete:  

The mailbox should have been closed and deleted automatically 90 days after you finished being a customer (according to VM's own Terms and Conditions). But the process fails all too often and leaves the former customer vulnerable to hacking and theft of personal and financial details (IMO, someone should definitely claim for damages from VM or complain to ICO!)

Only VM staff can raise a ticket to get the mailbox deleted manually. The Forum Team will visit this thread in the next few hours (or days?) and then take your personal details by private message.

When they say it is done, you can verify it is gone by running the email address(es) through mailtester.com. Best wishes to you.

2. Request a Move & Transfer:  If the IT team can perform (I can't promise, as I don't know what they check or do).  This would allow you to keep the old address and any other old addresses that were previously associated with your old account.  But you would lose any new addresses you have created with your new billing account.

So consider what you want and post back here.  The Forum Team will be able to assist either way.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I just tested the email address in mail tester.com and it is valid.

I would prefer just to delete this account, plus another associated account that has exactly the same problem.

Waiting for VM Forum Team then I guess.

Thanks for your help.

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Davidnet,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. 
We will send you a private message 
Kind regards