Menu
Luisb
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Old email addresses - can they be recovered?

I have been a NTL/VM customer for quite a while. At some point (we are talking probably 10-20 years ago) there were 5 email addresses (ntlworld) associated with my account. However two of these have been unused for quite a while (they were used by my children).

It seems these two are not working right now - I dont know whether the accounts are somehow recoverable or not. My son in particular was trying to recover a situation with another site which was somehow linked to this email account. Meanwhile the other three email addresses are totally fine, so obviously it's nothing to do with the account itself - but it may be that the email addresses were taken out of circulation at some point.

Any help / advice appreciated.

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Old email addresses - can they be recovered?

The Forum Team (VM employees) may need to check the internal system.  Please answer some questions that will help them, but don't tell us the addresses here in the open forum:

Are these secondary addresses definitely linked to your current primary billing account?  If so, they will show when you sign in to the billing account at my virgin media, and look on the my profile/manage address tab (see photos below).

Are they showing as active/valid if you run them through mailtester.com?  Can you change the password on the VM manage address tab?

To my knowledge, addresses that aren't accessed are supposed to go dormant after a period of time, and then expire (90 + 60 days IIRC).  But VM system does not always act on those guidelines.

If expired, they can never be used again (basic data security).

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073/

new account.pngmy services.png

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Luisb
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the heads up - so I will wait to see if anyone from the Forum Team can clarify or check.

I had seen the link you posted before, and some other threads here. But most seem to point at the case where people move out of VM and then come back (or not). In my case the issue is that the accounts went unused for quite sometime. It was never clear to me that they would get automatically deleted without at least a question being asked. And I don't recall being asked.

I checked last night and the addresses are no longer linked to the account, and they do not show as valid in mailtester.com. But again I have no idea of what is the process that led to the current situation, and therefore whether anything can be recovered. There "should" be a difference in handling of low activity email addresses linked to a live account, and email addresses linked to a closed account... but maybe there isn't. 😞

Thanks a lot !

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You have to delve into the Virgin Media Acceptable Use Policy to find the relevant information. https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/acceptable-use-policy

Under Section 6:

Email use

6.5. It is your responsibility to back up the contents of your Virgin Media email account. Upon suspension or termination of services the content may be removed and permanently deleted by Virgin Media without notice.

6.6. If you do not access any your Virgin Media email account at least once in every 150 days we have the right to delete that email account and its contents without prior warning.

6.7. If the email account is not used in any 90 day period we will suspend that account without prior notice. This will not impact any other email addresses associated with that account, as long as they are accessed within a 90 day period.

6.8. The email account will remain suspended for a further 60 days. During this time you can reactivate it by calling customer care.

6.9. Any e-mail accounts not reactivated will be closed and the contents permanently deleted.

It's worth noting that using an email client does count as accessing the account.

I don't know if Virgin Media will be able to reinstate your lost accounts, or if they can whether any historical emails will still be available, but if you expect the worst you won't be disappointed.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
Paulo100
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Without re writing the original posters experience this has just happened exactly the same. No warning (apart from now the obvious small print and details) and as I am works from home due to COVID, I have no access to emails.

i have tried for 2 days with customer services to get some help which has been none existent and if I'd like to call back in a couple of days someone might help me!

I did use the mail tester.com as per one of the posts and my account is still GREEN and saying its live so could I have any chance of getting this back even temporarily? I need certain mails and documents from my account. I do still have a mobile account (2 actually) with Virgin but apparently this doesn't count but no email address also means I cannot access any account information on these either?

After 20 plus years giving you my money for mobile, TV, phone and broadband there must be some way of helping me Virgin people?

Richlay123456
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi what was the outcome of this please, I have had exactly the same issue today, they have deactivated my account, really struggling to find an answer!!

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

if you are no longer a virgin broadband customer there is nothing that can be done to recover the emails
0 Kudos
Luisb
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

And even if you are a customer, check the post above by sololobo

My reading: if you do not access an email account at all for 90 days, the account could be suspended; and if nothing else happens for the next 60 days (no contact with customer care), the account may be deleted. In my case years had gone, so nothing to be done. 

0 Kudos