Menu
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Old email account

Hi my family are getting emails from an old [MOD EDIT: PERSONAL INFORMATION REMOVED] It's a lot of spam/some of it inappropriate. I left virgin as a provides many years ago. I assumed it was deleted? How do I close this account please?

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Old email account

You have come to the right place, matthewghillis - (ALTHOUGH DON'T POST PERSONAL DETAILS IN THE OPEN FORUM.)

As you know, the mailbox should have been closed AND deleted automatically 90 days after you finished being a customer (or 1 year for virgin.net IIRC), according to VM's own Terms and Conditions. But the process fails all too often and leaves the former customer vulnerable to hacking and theft of personal and financial details (IMO, someone should definitely claim for damages from VM or complain to ICO!).

Only VM staff can raise a ticket to get the orphaned mailboxes deleted manually. The friendly Forum Team will visit this thread in the next few days and then take your personal details by private message.  They are very busy with a major issue affecting customer email/mailboxes so please be patient. 

When they say it is done, you can verify it is gone by running the email address(es) through https://mailtester.com.

In the meantime, if you still have access via an email client (try Thunderbird - using IMAP process which synchronises with the mailbox stored on the VM server), delete everything from all the folders to reduce the information available to hackers.

Best wishes to you.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073/

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Old email account

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our forums 🙂

I can help you with this and I will pop you over a PM and we can look into this for you keep an eye out for the purple envelope 🙂

Thanks,

Zoie

0 Kudos