Menu
Chrissy21
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Old NTL email address issue

Hi I am looking for some advice.

I recently moved home and had to set my new account up with a different email address as my old NTL email address was linked to my old address.

Short story long I am not sure if my NTL email address has been hacked as I logged on today to find 419 rejects from mail delivery server. When I looked at them they appeared to come to me and the rejects were from email addresses I have never heard of.

Thinking my account had been compromised I tried to login on a laptop and change the password but it appears I can no longer do this. I've tried a password reset but it says my username isn't valid 😞

Looking at other topics it seems that because it is no longer associated with a broadband account it is no longer valid but I have been using this for years and have loads of stuff saved here.

I stupidly tried to change it to my new account and it will let me but the email won't pull through 😞

Can anyone suggest anything to change my password just in case my account has been compromised? I can find no trace of the email being sent from my account and have done the usual thing on my laptop to see if any malware etc exists but it doesn't.

Help and thank in advance.

0 Kudos
Chrissy21
Tuning in
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

NTL email access issue

Hi I am hoping someone can help me. Yesterday I logged onto my NTL email which I've had for donkeys years only to find 419 email bouncebacks from an email I had allegedly sent (I hadn't).

I did the normal and did a malware/virus scan which revealed nothing and then went to change my password but it says that the user is not found when I go to forgotten password.

I think that this is because I moved house recently and when setting up a new virgin media account it would not let me use my old NTL email as it was associated with an account already so I had to make a new email account.

I have years worth of emails you know like you do from house moves and personal/private stuff and although I can still access it on my mobile and laptop I cannot change the password and am worried it is compromised.

Can anyone please give me any advice?

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: NTL email access issue

@Chrissy21  The VM Forum Team should be able to check if it is possible for a 'Move & Transfer' to be carried out in this case.  This would replace any email addresses on your new account with the email address from the old account.  They will contact you via this forum when they reach this thread.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Chrissy21
Tuning in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Graham that's great news.

I am a VM customer and have been for a long time it was just it wouldn't let me use the same email address in my new account which prompted me to use a new one.

Thanks again 🙂

0 Kudos
Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Chrissy21, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you're having an issue with your mails. 

We can certainly look in to things further for you however we will need to pass data protection with you first. I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chrissy21, 

Thanks for coming back to me on this one with all your information. 

Checking your active account, I can see your email address was indeed still associated with your old, closed broadband account. 

I have completed the move and transfer for you now to move the email over to the new active account. This can take up to 24 hours to go through. Once it has, we can then do a password reset to allow access to the email address again. 

Please try logging in again, this time tomorrow and we can then go from there. 

Many thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Chrissy21
Tuning in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath 

That's great thank you so much for doing this, really appreciated.

Christine

0 Kudos
Chrissy21
Tuning in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath_F

No luck I am afraid it still says the username is not recognised

Best

Christine

0 Kudos
Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Chrissy21

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

How are you getting on with accessing the account today?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Chrissy21
Tuning in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hello I am still getting 'unable to find your username'

Best

Chrissy21

0 Kudos