Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Old Email Address Hacked

Hi

Closed my account with Virgin a few months ago and was told that my old email address would close after 6 months. Looks like that has not happened!! The account seems to be hacked. How can I ensure that this old email has been deleted and no-one can send emails from it?

Thanks

Craig 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Old Email Address Hacked

Well now that you've chosen to publish your old email address, anyone can send out emails purporting to be from you just by spoofing the headers.     Smiley Sad

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

edited !! Thanks 

Can VM not just cancel that account as they said they would?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It would help if you had your facts straight (and I never thought I'd say this but well done @Dave_cq for spotting the publication of sensitive data on a public forum and getting something done about it quickly). Addresses will close 90 days (3 months) after leaving VM. But the process is sometimes incomplete. accounts are often left in a half on/half off situation.

We need to get the VM Forum Team involved to get the VM e-mail team to investigate and put this address out of its misery. You need to wait here for the Team to reach this thread - it'll either happen quickly or it will take a few days.

You'll get a personal message from team announced by a post in this thread. Reply to it quickly and VM will get the process underway

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Read my Forum signature. Only mark as helpful when the issue is solved. Or this thread will get missed or de-prioritised. Undo the ticks please. You still have the problem.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello Mrrep

Thanks for your post 

Sorry to hear about the spam emails

What I will do is send you a private message 

Just check the purple envelop[e top right of your screen 

Gareth_L

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I had a virgin.net email which became defunct when virgin ceased to support copper wire broadband. In the holding period I set up a redirect to my new email address, which I thought would eventually cease. Problem is it’s still functioning and has now been hacked and is being used to send spoof emails and also break into my Spotify account. I can’t sign in through the Virgin site as my password no longer works and the Virgin helpline can see my account, but can’t find it to close it down. How can this be shut down completely please?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@VT60 wrote:

How can this be shut down completely please?

Start your own thread as per forum etiquette (this one is already solved for the OP), and the Forum Team (VM employees) can help refer this to the IT department.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I need to cancel my old virgin email address pls as it’s been hacked can someone tell me how to do this pls 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Fearnie, welcome to the community.

We'll need to get some details to get this sorted - so I'll send a PM shortly & will look forward to your reply.

Tom_F

0 Kudos