Menu
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

OFCOM investigating orphaned email account practice

OFCOM is to investigate the practice of charging to retain ISP email accounts or customers having to give up an ISP based account when switching providers, as this is creating a barrier to customers switching:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51571275

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: OFCOM investigating orphaned email account practice

Might be better looking at how Openreach can charge extortionate amounts to provide a line when its part of their USO. I would imagine 250 quid upfront is more of a barrier than potentially paying a fiver  for a few months till you get your address migrated.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Don't use ISP email.
Stop providing ISP email addresses.
Problem solved

Highlighted
Community elder
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Keeping an ISP provided email address after changing provider can be likened to moving house but insisting on retaining your old postal address. That would be a nonsense.

Email services are provided by ISP's solely with the intention of making it difficult to move provider. You are under no obligation to use them.

While there are free email services available they are either ad supported or your data is being slurped. If you want privacy and security you really have to pay.

In any event, you are given time to migrate to a new email address. (Despite what you may think it's really not that difficult to do providing you are methodical.)

In the case of Virgin Media it's 90 days. BT give 60 days with the option to move to a paid for account, the same applies to Plusnet. Talk Talk give 30 days with a paid for option available. Choose not to take that up and the account remains active with reduced functionality until it's finally closed after 5 months.

Sky is the only ISP who (currently) lets you keep your account for life.

Source for the above: https://www.finder.com/uk/how-can-i-switch-broadband-and-keep-my-email-address

As noted already, and I concur, don't use an ISP provided email address.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Sololobo wrote:

That is not quite the whole story though is it?  Sky email is actually the free Yahoo email service but branded as Sky Yahoo mail.

Sky must be paying Yahoo for using their service but presumably it is much cheaper than the cost of setting up and supporting their own in house email service.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@coenoby wrote:

@Sololobo wrote:

That is not quite the whole story though is it?  Sky email is actually the free Yahoo email service but branded as Sky Yahoo mail.

You are quite correct Coenoby, there is more in the source link I provided than I paraphrased in my post, including the info you note above. That's why I included it (the link), for those interested enough to read for themselves.

Perhaps I should have said "Sky, through their association with Yahoo mail, allow you to keep your Sky email address, without having to migrate to a Yahoo, or other email address?

One day perhaps I'll do something right.

Sky must be paying Yahoo for using their service but presumably it is much cheaper than the cost of setting up and supporting their own in house email service.

Coenoby

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Be careful what you wish for!

This might well just be OFCOM querying 'excessive' charges for retaining a mailbox and email access - I can't see how they can realistically expect a company to provide an indefinite service for someone who is no longer a customer and contributing anything towards the cost of maintaining it, keeping the servers running, paying for storage and bandwidth ultimately costs money. If that's the case then VM won't be effected, they don't offer the service at all and don't charge for it.

On the other hand if OFCOM try to force the issue then I can well imagine the big ISPs simply removing all email provision entirely (which might actually not be a bad thing). It only needs one to start the ball rolling and the rest will follow so fast it'll be like they're on elastic!

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@jem101 

I completely agree.  When I read this on the BBC news site earlier today my initial reaction was OFCOM being daft and not considering the full implications of what might result.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos