cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ntlworld emails not downloading to Apple mail today - worked for years

lcb
Joining in

Today no emails on iPhone or iPad in Apple mail but they are in virgin media webmail  - virgin couldn’t explain it & suggested speaking to Apple.

very helpful Apple support person got me working by creating an imap account instead of pop account.

anyone have similar problems ?

also having great difficulty resurrecting another ntlworld email account so I can see it in webmail - can see it in Apple mail 😏😏

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Make sure you update your server settings.

We're seeing a number of people using the old pop.ntlworld.com server have issues with authentication.  These settings have not been the norm for a number of years.

If you are using POP3 the correct server is pop3.virginmedia.com on port 993 SSL/TLS

Username is your FULL ntlworld.com email address - e.g. joe.bloggs@ntlworld.com

Also update your SMTP settings to use smtp.virginmedia.com Port 465 SSL/TLS

Username is as above and Authentication type should be changed to Password.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

snowgo
Joining in
I've got exact same problem today. From about 9am this morning I haven't been able to download any emails on either my macbook or ipad. I just repeatedly get messages asking me to input my password (which hasn't changed) and even if I input password it just says 'can't connect'. Funnily enough though my emails are still downloading to my iphone (no idea why this works and not the ipad), and webmail works okay. Real nuisance that email not working on macbook. I have tried to set up an imap account on macbook - but can't get that to work - so any tips appreciated.

My email accounts were pop not imap & when the Apple guy spoke to me he got me to set up a new imap a/c in Apple mail & everything then appeared in mail- it was straightforward on the iPad & iPhone but I have no experience of Mac mail

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Make sure you update your server settings.

We're seeing a number of people using the old pop.ntlworld.com server have issues with authentication.  These settings have not been the norm for a number of years.

If you are using POP3 the correct server is pop3.virginmedia.com on port 993 SSL/TLS

Username is your FULL ntlworld.com email address - e.g. joe.bloggs@ntlworld.com

Also update your SMTP settings to use smtp.virginmedia.com Port 465 SSL/TLS

Username is as above and Authentication type should be changed to Password.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks for the suggestion - I too have now managed to get things sorted by replacing pop accounts with imap ones.  Panic over for now 😀

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@snowgo - You are using imap.virginmedia.com as your server - right?

Tim

Yes, using that server, and took me a while to realise that I needed to go into advanced settings and uncheck ‘automatically manage connection settings’ in order to switch the authentication type to ‘password’.   Just mention this in case anyone else gets stuck on same point. 

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just to point out that pop3.virginmedia.com does appear to be authenticating fine, for those that want to continue using POP3,

Tim

Had the same problem; this didn't quite fix it ... but setting the port to 995 instead of 993 did 🙂

(following these instructions: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-update-settings-on-os-x-macos )  

Thanks for that - after initially curing the problem by setting up imap accounts I then set about working through your solution & a couple of others & everything is now great 👏👏👏👏👏

thanks to you & the community