Menu
Martin_S_57
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ntlworld email stopped working on POP3 and IMAP

Hi all, yesterday 24 November around 11 in the morning I stopped receiving emails.

I have Outlook on Win 10 using POP3

Android email on Samsung using IMAP

and my wife has a linked email account on IOS Ipad using POP3

All of the above failed at the same time.

On outlook I get :

Task [Removed] - Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook cannot connect to your incoming (POP3) email server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

If I try to reset the accounts I get error messages along the lines of 'unable to connect to the IMAP server'  'unable to connect to the SMTP server'.

I have tried removing the account completely from my phone and resetting it but get the above errors.

Webmail is working perfectly.

I spent an hour on the phone with tech support this morning and it was less than useful.  Some choice quotes: 'we only support webmail' 'you know more about this than I do'. A complete refusal to even acknowledge that Virgin owns and operates POP3 and IMAP servers.

Ideas please?

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ntlworld email stopped working on POP3 and IMAP

I have flagged your message to the moderators so that they can remove your email address from the post before it gets into the hands of all the spammers who trawl public forums like this looking for such security lapses.

Do the settings on all the devices match those currently recommended as set out here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-settings-change/td-p/3369438/jump-to/first-unread-m...

Have you changed anything recently such as changed or update security software?

It doesn't particularly help you but this is the second post today quoting that Outlook error code.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Martin_S_57
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Graham than you for the 'SPAM' save.  I haven't changed anything that I'm aware of and the fact that it is across 3 devices with 3 different OS leads me to think it's not likely to be a change at my end anyway. My settings are as per the recommended.

Martin

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

These sorts of issues are always difficult to get to the bottom off especially when cross platform and accounts.  One way to diagnose the issue is to find the VM error code, which email clients like Outlook and mobile devices tend not to show in their own error messages.

You can turn on logging in Outlook to help track the error message.  Have a look at this post:

Outgoing Authentication Issues? - Check Email Logs - Virgin Media Community - 3237150

When post back with results be careful to redact any personal information - all we are interest in is find the VM### error code where ### are three numbers.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Martin_S_57
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Graham,  thank you for your help trying to fix my problem but I have resolved it.  Virgin has decided to stop playing nicely with the VPN (expressVPN) on my router.  It has been working perfectly for I can't remember how long but yesterday morning it stopped.  Turning the VPN on and off turns the email on and off.  There hadn't been any updates although one was due which I have now installed but the email problem is still there.

Very annoying but at least I know what the problem is

Martin

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I would not be at all surprised if the IP address being used by the VPN is on the Spamhaus CSS blacklist.  That would generate a VM305 error code, which would show up in the Outlook log.

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I was noseying around the internet the other day whilst checking some records off speedtest.net, I noticed that my IP address had changed 3 times since March. I posted a reply here: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/IP-lease/m-p/4501765#M350507. What struck me as odd was the last line in my last post.  There seems to be a blocklist problem with some VM IP addresses,  however, my email works as it should.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π
0 Kudos