Menu
Rich_rch79
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Ntlworld email hacked

Hi

I have an old ntlworld email account and I have recently been hacked but need to change the password or ideally close that account completely. 

I have changed other email accounts already but can’t access the ntlworld email as says it can’t find it. 

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ntlworld email hacked

@Rich_rch79 wrote:

I have an old ntlworld email account and I have recently been hacked

..................... but can’t access the ntlworld email as says it can’t find it. 

When you say "old" ntlworld email it makes me wonder whether you are no longer a Virgin Media Broadband customer or, if you have a current VM broadband contract, whether that Ntlworld email address was part of an old now closed VM broadband contract?

If your ntlworld email address is not linked to an existing VM broadband account it may well  have been closed down by VM which would explain why you cannot "find" it.

When a broadband contract is closed any email addresses linked to it should be deleted after 90days although that does not always happen.

Do you have evidence (other than you cannot access it) that this Ntlworld email account has been hacked? For example are you seeing suspicious emails being forwarded from it to one of your current email addresses? Sometimes VM remove access to the email account but do not fully delete it.

Try sending an email to that ntlworld address and see if you get a delivery failure message back.

If you do, the address has been deleted, if you do not get an error message back the account may still exist.

If you are no longer a VM customer one of the Forum Team (VM employees) can get the account deleted for you. They will contact you via this forum and get the details from you by the forum Private Message (PM) facility.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Rich_rch79
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I am still a VM customer and I took over the account from my brother when he moved out and set up a new account with this new home. 

I have tried to send and email from my Ntlworld account and it works. What I’m getting is various password resets for all my apps that have linked ntlworld email account to. I’m not requesting the password resets but all the emails come from from this account. 

I have checked my account and it’s linked to my gmail account. 

This hacker is working his way through every app it seems 

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@Rich_rch79 wrote:

Hi, I am still a VM customer and I took over the account from my brother when he moved out and set up a new account with this new home. 

So, is your brother's VM broadband account now officially in your name or was it just an informal arrangement between you? The reason I ask is that for the  Forum Team to help they will need to be sure they are dealing with the account holder whose name appears on the bills.

I have tried to send and email from my Ntlworld account and it works. What I’m getting is various password resets for all my apps that have linked ntlworld email account to. I’m not requesting the password resets but all the emails come from from this account.

Ok, I had to ask because many people assume that when they cannot access an email account it must be because a hacker has taken it over.

" I have checked my account and it’s linked to my gmail account."

Is the "my account" you refer to there your My Virgin Media account - that is the one where you can view your monthly bills from VM? If so, is this NTLworld email account listed when you click on "my Profile" and "Manage Accounts"? If it is listed under Manage Accounts you should be able to delete it yourself by clicking on the "View /Change" option on the right.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos