Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Ntlworld email hacked - shut it down?

Hi my ntlworld email has been hacked with a user trying to access my Ebay, Amazon accounts etc.

I'm thinking about deleting my ntlworld email address. Problem is I use it daily and have 1000's of contacts.

Whats the best way to do this? Set up a new email and use an email forwarder from my ntlworld address?

thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ntlworld email hacked - shut it down?

First you should regain control, so you can assess any damage done and rectify it - and check your whole network, too.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

Then after you are sure you will NEVER need it again, you can delete for yourself from the primary billing account, select My Profile >> Manage accounts tab.  This only works for secondary addresses.  If it is your primary address it can't be completely deleted, but VM say that after 150 days of non-use, the mailbox will close.

I recommend backing up any emails you want, then deleting all emails and contacts from the VM server via webmail first.  After the deletion process, double-check the mailbox is gone from the VM servers by running the address through https://mailtester.com.  Then you can be sure it is completely finished.

Do not use the holiday/out of office type notice that replies to everybody- you don't want spammers and scammers to get any information on your new address.  But yes, the autoforward is safe so you can pick up on emails you need and can then notify the sender or ignore if you don't want them to know your new address.

Turn off all filters and blocklist.  Turn off the spam filtering so you get any mis-identified spam forwarded to your new address.  

Let  us know if you need assistance.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos