cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ntlworld email - can't access

Remfan1
Tuning in

I tried to go into emails last Thursday and was refused saying email or password are incorrect. They weren't, but also said something about IMAP.  I've been a VM customer for over 20yrs so not frustrated with this. Any ideas?

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

8 REPLIES 8

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Remfan1 wrote:I tried to go into emails .......... was refused saying email or password are incorrect. .......but also said something about IMAP.

In order to know what advice to offer you really need to give a bit more detail. The following information would help clarify things:

1. Exactly what that error message says.
  2. How you are accessing you email account. Is it via the VM webmail service on the VM website or are you using a third party email app or client such as Microsoft's Outlook or Mail to access and manage your VM email account?

Your mention of IMAP suggests a third party email app/client. However, some people use their webmail account to access and manage more than one VM email account and that involves the use of IMAP.

It looks likely that you need a password reset to resolve the problem but without a bit more detail it's impossible to be certain.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello, Remfan.
Thank you for joining our help forums and for your first time posting here, glad to have you on board! 🙂

We're sorry to hear of the email account access issue you've experienced, we'd love to see how to best help with this.
To do so we'll need to find out a bit more on the error and what's been attempted to resolve this, could you please advise if you've tried a password change as seen our our page here?

Also, you may check our email settings in case you're accessing your mailbox via a client software or App (like outlook etc), to make sure it's all updated as well as the email password on there (if changed recently).

Let us know of the above and we'll be eager to assist further.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Remfan1
Tuning in

Since I've had no responses to my earlier post 😭 I'll try this bit of information... when I logged on to my VM account, and I searched the email option...

Your Virgin Media Mail account is currently unavailable

This is either because your Virgin Media Mail account is locked, or because you don’t have an active account with us anymore.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Remfan1 wrote:

Since I've had no responses to my earlier post 😭I'll try this bit of information... when I logged on to my VM account, and I searched the email option...

In fact VM staff member Adri_G replied to you yesterday after I had also replied to you. (See the posts above)

Have you tried following their advice to reset/change your password? That should unlock your VM email account if it is linked to a live VM broadband account.

To reset your password sign into the My Virgin Media account for that email address. Enter the  VM email address here https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media and when prompted enter the current password.

Then go to the Account Details page. In the SIgn In details section you will see "Password"  and you need to click on Edit on the right had side and follow the instructions,

Just a word to the wise - VM now insist that you have to specify a non VM email account. That will become the username you will need to sign in to your VM account rather than your VM email address. That's all covered in the instructions.

Once you have successfully reset the password try signing into your email account using the non VM email address as the username and the new password you have just created.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Firstly, thank you for your reply and help.

I use a third party email client to access my Ntlworld email account. When I went to check them, I got [IMAP] Username or Password is incorrect. So I tried logging in via web and got this:

This is either because your Virgin Media Mail account is locked, or because you don’t have an active account with us anymore.

I've been with VM for over 20yrs, so assume it's locked.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Remfan1 wrote:

assume it's locked.

So, you need to do a password reset to unlock the account. I did suggest that to you in my earlier post but I'll post the details of how you do that again.

You need to sign into the "My Virgin Media" account for the Ntlwoltd email account. Enter the Ntlworld address here https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media   and then enter the current password when prompted.

Then click on the "Account settings" tab, then the "Account details" tab.

Then scroll down the Account Details page to the SIgn In details section you will see "Password"  and you need to click on Edit on the right had side and follow the instructions,

Unfortunately, VM now insists that you have to use a non VM email address as the Username to access your VM email account so you will then be taken through that process. Once you have specified the non VM email account to use to sign into your Ntlworld address, VM will then send a verification email to that non VM account.

VM say they have made that change to improve the security of VM email accounts.

Try that and see how it goes.

Coenoby

Thank you so much for replying again, and apologies for you having to duplicate for me. I requested and remember getting the email from VM, but cannot locate it. So I requested again to be told I've already requested it. Looks like I'll have to call them.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Consider resolving this issue yourself by trying the following workaround

• enter an alternative email address (but not that originally used) and select Save. For example richard.branson@example.org resulting in following:
    _1-1696283979875.jpeg
  • Without waiting to receive the verification link select Back and Edit to change the Sign in Email Address to original alternative email address and select Save
  • Wait for verification link to be received before closing page; if it does not arrive after 5 minutes select the send it again link

FYI more detailed response to similar issue was originally posted here Solved: Re: Changing account email address - Virgin Media Community - 5405388

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks