Menu
carol5-4
Dialled in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Ntlworld and thunderbird problems

Hi all, having been away from my PC for a few days, I opened Thunderbird and kept getting 'enter new password' message. No emails had downloaded since 5th June, and then only some (I have 5 ntlworld email addresses linked to family members). As I am the only one able to change any settings, I am confident nothing has been altered. In the process of changing them to gmail, but so far only 2 have been done. The message I keep getting from Thunderbird is 'unable to get messages command not recognised'. I have checked the webmail and all is ok there. So, before I change settings on Thunderbird, can any of you kind people tell me if 1: You are having the same problem  or 2: Are my old POP/SMTP settings the cause. Many thanks in advance...

0 Kudos
albob
Superfast
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ntlworld and thunderbird problems

I am having the exact problem with Windows Live mail (pop3). 

Seems something has been changed at VirginMedia end ??

Can' help with solutions tho' !!

0 Kudos
carol5-4
Dialled in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks anyway albob. I will hold fire with trying to alter any settings in Thunderbird for the moment, as it seems I am not alone, and changing these things always brings me out in a cold sweat anyway lol
0 Kudos
albob
Superfast
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Just looking down the forum posts, it appears that we are not the only ones (several posts about being unable to access emails)

Hopefully a VM rep will notice and offer some solutions

And adding :: on my laptop (using IMAP) I am receiving my emails OK..! :: Main PC uses POP3

carol5-4
Dialled in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

OK so I tried the suggestion to change POP to POP3 following the instructions on the sticky thread. I had read them before originally posting but as it was so old, I didn't think it was relevant....WRONG it was relevant!

I changed each address one by one, checking each one before going on to the next......

Drum Roll......

All up and working again.....many thanks! 😀

Just to add, I also checked the SMTP, which in my case was up to date, so no changes needed there.