cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ntl email password change

tonyscozzari79
Tuning in

Hi all my Ntl world email has been hacked and I'm needsome help to change the password. I feel like I've tried everything but keep hitting a brick wall. Can anyone help me please?

6 REPLIES 6

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@tonyscozzari79 wrote:

Can anyone help me please?

The key question is whether you still have a live Virgin Media broadband contract.

If you are still a VM broadband customer you can reset the password by following these steps:

• Sign into your "My Virgin Media" account, that's the one were you can view your VM bills and package details) from here https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn 
  • The MVM account interface is being updated but at the moment but once you have signed in you need to click on "Account settings" then "Account details"
  • If the email address is your primary address it will be displayed and you can change the password from there
  • If it is a secondary address you will need to click on the "Manage accounts" tab and select it from the list
  • Once you have selected the address, click on View/Change to the right of the address
  • Then click on Change to the right of password and follow the instructions

Be sure to change the password to something you have not used before. Once you have changed it there is no need to wait 2 days but best to leave it 30 minutes before trying to access the email account to allow time for the change to synchronise across the VM servers.

If you are not a VM broadband customer then your only chance is to try this route https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/forgotten-details/password  but there is no guarantee you will be successful.   Enter your Ntlworld email address and you will be asked to supply the answers to a couple of security questions. If you pass that check you should be able to set a new password.

However, you need to be aware that if you do not have a VM broadband account you have an even bigger issue. VM have a policy of deleting old email accounts that are no longer linked to a broadband account and when they do that they never give any warning to the user. So your Ntlworld account could disappear at any time. It is even possible that the deletion process has already started and you have assumed that the account has just been hacked.

There have been lots of posts on this forum with ex customers who have had their old email accounts deleted. Sometimes they have been able to regain access to the account on a temporary basis to download their own emails, but that is fairly rare.

I hope that helps.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi, thanks for your help. I'm afraid it didnt work for me. I changed the password where I can see my username and password. But thats the password to enter my virgin media account, which I did change. I can see my email as the primary contact email, but there are no buttons to change it. To test it I went in my email settings removed my email account and loaded it up again in the hope it would only accept the new password but it's still set on the old one. Am I doing something wrong?

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@tonyscozzari79 wrote:

I changed the password where I can see my username and password. But thats the password to enter my virgin media account, which I did change. I can see my email as the primary contact email, but there are no buttons to change it.

Sorry but you have totally confused me there.

If the Ntlworld.com email address is your primary VM email address then the password and sign in details for that email account and your My Virgin Media account will be the same.

Just to confirm we are talking about the same thing and to clarify, here's the "My Profile" page in your My Virgin Media account where you can  change the password for your MVM account and your primary email address at the same time,

in this picture the primary email address and MVM username is the "youremail@ntlworld.com" address and the Change button is to the right of the Password line.

That Change button will take your to a screen that allows you to change the password for your My Virgin Media Account and the VM email account with that address at the same time.

In the VM system the My Virgin Media" account and the primary email account share the same username (the primary email address) and the password.

Change password2.png

Finally, you also say "To test it I went in my email settings removed my email account and loaded it up again in the hope it would only accept the new password but it's still set on the old one."  So what happens if you try to log in to the email account directly on the VM website?

You can do that from here https://mail2.virginmedia.com/   Enter your email address and the old password. Does that allow you in? If that does not work then try the new one.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Oh ok great so yes I have the same view when I logged in. So I changed the password and then I logged out of the VM acc and back in and it worked with the new password. I also tested do that with the link you provided and it also only worked with my new password, so far so good. The only thing that bothers me is when I remove my account from my Samsung email app and load it back up, it will only work with the OLD password not the new one...so I thinking it hasn't worked properly. And I ama till getting scary emails form some saying they've hacked my account...so still abit panicked. Do u have any idea why I still uses the old password when reconnecting my email view the email app? 

Thanks so much for your help

Just noticed my terrible grammar..soz. No spell checking in these text boxes. Lol

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@tonyscozzari79 wrote:

Do u have any idea why I still uses the old password when reconnecting my email view the email app? 

There have been cases although I have not seen them reported here for some while of the VM SMTP / IMAP servers that email apps use to send and receive emails getting out of sync with the main email VM servers. 

The trick then was to reset the VM password but to what it was already. So if you have already changed it from "oldpassword" to "newpassword" reset it again via the "Change" button but set it to "newpassword" again and confirm that change. That may force the SMTP / IMAP servers to resynchronise so you could try that but leave it say 15 / 30 minutes before trying to access the account with the app.

Also, you say "And I am still getting scary emails form some saying they've hacked my account...so still a bit panicked." Scammers do not need access to your email account in order to send emails that appear to come from your email account, they just want to scare you into complying with them. Usually that involves paying them.  As an example, are these emails along these lines: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/guidance ?

Whether they are or not you should forward them to the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) using their Suspicious Email Reporting Service (SERS) via this email address report@phishing.gov.uk 

Also, see here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/information/report-suspicious-emails  for more information on what the NCSC does to deal with cyber crime.

I hope that helps.

Coenoby