Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ntl email hacked & filters applied

Help please!

My ntl world email has been hacked & they have managed to take over my amazon account. I have logged out of all devices the email account was on & logged onto a totally new Pc & changed the password several times but they still keep getting in  & re directing my amazon emails and have deleted several emails.

Not sure what to do. Spoke to VM who insisted I must have shared my password!! And then want to delete the account

Any help please would be really appreciated! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Ntl email hacked & filters applied

@Sueg99 wrote:

Any help please would be really appreciated! 

You say you have changed your password but have you changed your security question as advised by VM here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

If the hackers have guessed or obtained the existing question and answer it is trivially easy for them to keep resetting you password.

Section 2of that link explains that you can do that by signing in to your 'My Virgin Media' account, going to the 'My Profile' tab and then going down to the 'Security details' section. Choose a completely new question and remember that you do not have to give an honest answer to the question Smiley Wink That will make it even more difficult for the hackers. But do make sure that you remember the answer that you set up!!

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

In addition to the above good advice do pay attention to point 4 in the link provided.  Check for and delete any auto forward rules or filters that may have been set up by the hacker.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thx for helpful advice. Yes I have changed the security question too! And the hacker isn’t changing my password for the account when they log in which you would think they would need to if they have clicked the forgotten password?? 

Also we aren’t getting any emails alerting us to them changing the password or security questions which we get when we have been changing them?! 

Thank you 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thx for your help. 

I keep checking & removing them & they keep reapplying them!!! Really annoying!!! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Sueg99 wrote:

I have changed the security question too! And the hacker isn’t changing my password for the account when they log in which you would think they would need to if they have clicked the forgotten password?? 

I am sure you have done this already but have you done a deep scan of your computers with malwarebytes?

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

If the hackers have managed to get a key logger or similar malware installed on your devices they could be fully aware of what your password is at all times.

My other advice would be to switch to  a more secure email service such as Gmail or Microsoft's Outlook.com for your online accounts such as Amazon. Both support 2 Factor Authentication which gives an added layer of protection from hacking attempts.

Also, I hope that you have already protected your Amazon account by switching on their 2 step Authentication Verification service https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201596330

I hope you manage to get on top of this as soon as possible.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer