Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ntl account hacked

I have an old ntl account which has not been used for some time but did auto forward emails to a current email address

it now appears that the account had been hacked and emails are no longer being forwarded to my current email

how do I delete the account

i am unable to log in as the password has been changed and requests to change password are not being auto forwarded to my current email 

thanks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ntl account hacked

Are you a current VM broadband customer? Is the address linked to your billing account?  Here is the help page for securing addresses: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

You can't delete a primary address, only regain control, but you can delete secondary addresses linked to the account.

But if you are not a customer, or the address is not linked to your billing account, you need to wait here for the VM Forum Team.

The mailbox should have been closed and deleted automatically 90 days after you finished being a customer (according to VM's own Terms and Conditions). But the process fails all too often and leaves the former customer vulnerable to hacking and theft of personal and financial details (IMO, someone should definitely claim for damages from VM or complain to ICO!)

Only VM staff can raise a ticket to get the mailbox deleted manually. The Forum Team will visit this thread in the next few hours (or days?) and then take your personal details by private message.

When they say it is done, you can verify it is gone by running the email address(es) through mailtester.com. Best wishes to you.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the information... I don’t have a virgin account ... so will have to wait for them to pick this up 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Steptoe64 wrote:

it now appears that the account had been hacked and emails are no longer being forwarded to my current email

MissPasko has given you all the information that you need but I would just add that your comment quoted above stood out to me when I read your original post.

Do you have any evidence that your old ntlworld account does still exist? Possibly the auto forward has stopped working because VM have recently closed the account.

You could do worse than enter the address into the mailtester.com website that MissPasko mentioned.

If it comes back "Email address does not exist" you don't need to wait for VM, the job's already be done.😉

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks ... I have checked and the account is still shown as valid 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your post Steptoe64 and sorry to hear of your email issues.

If you still have the details of the Virgin Media account this email address is attached to we can go through and ensure this is removed for you. 

Let us know if you have these details to hand as we can send you a private message to go through this for you and have this email removed within 5 working days.

Thank you, Emily.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I am afraid that I do not have the account no... I might have been able to find it if I could access the emails .. bit of a catch 22 situation there.

I can provide the address and other details that should be able to confirm the account 

thanks

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No problem, what we'll do is take this to a private message which I'll pop you over now and then try to locate the account this email address is attached to. If we're unable to do so what I'll do is send a request to our IT team to remove the email address from the system to see if this is possible without the account details. 

Could you please respond to this private message by going to the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.

Thank you, Emily.

0 Kudos