cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not spam

soosie
On our wavelength

I wondered why I wasn't getting many emails from my usual correspondents !

I checked my Blueyonder account this morning and to my surprise found 168 messages that had been listed as spam. They were all from my accounts with two forums that I've regularly been contributing to for a number of years and, up until now now, have never had a problem receiving notification emails from either. Nothing in any of the emails would warrant them being singled out as spam. During the same period (last 3-4 days) I did receive a few emails from the same sources which weren't tagged as spam and appeared as normal in my inbox.

Any suggestions as to why this happened ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi soosie,

Thanks for getting back to us, and sorry for the issues you had with your services yesterday.

We'll need to do a bit more digging into the email issue so we can find out what's causing it. I've sent you over a private message so I can take some details.

Thanks

Beth

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@soosie wrote:

Any suggestions as to why this happened ?

The first thing I would check is to see if the email addresses of those forums have been inadvertently added to the "Blocklist" in your Virgin Media webmail account.

Sign into your email account on the VM website and follow steps 1-3 to get to the blocklist and 4 & 5 if you need to remove any addresses from the list.

VM have renamed the "Blacklist" to the more politically correct "Blocklist". However, Blocklist is really the wrong description because email addresses on the Blocklist don't actually get blocked. They are just sent to the spam folder - which of course is what you are seeing hence my suggestion.

Delete blocklist.png

If that is not the answer then something about the affected emails is causing VM's spam filters to flag them as spam. That could be down to:

• the way the email service on those forums is set up so that VM suspect the addresses are being spoofed (faked)
  • or something in the content that makes the emails look "spammy" to VM's filters
  • or a combination of both the above.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @soosie, and I'm sorry to hear of the issue with some of the E-Mails you're receiving landing in the spam folder.

Do please follow the helpful advise from @coenoby, and report back to us after monitoring for a period of time.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

soosie
On our wavelength

@coenoby thank you for your reply 😀

I've checked and neither of the source email addresses are shown in the Blocklist - but I did add both email addresses to my email Address Book last night and this has worked with one of the forums but not the other !

I had been receiving emails from both sources for some years without any problems until just recently. They've never been flagged as spam before and there is nothing in their content which would warrant them being flagged as spam so I'm still puzzled. I am in contact with the System Administrator for the one which is still a problem and waiting to hear back from them if it is anything to do with them.

Thank you again for your advice

soosie
On our wavelength

@David_Bn

Thank you for your reply - see my reply to coenoby above.

Since adding the source email addresses to my Address Book I'm still getting notification messages from the second forum being flagged as spam and am having to check my Virgin Blueyonder email account regularly throughout the day to move the messages into the inbox so that they transfer to Outlook.

Thank you for popping back to us @soosie and I'm so sorry that this issue has occurred. 

Can I just clarify, the changes have made it so one forums email can get through but you are still finding the others are being sorted to spam? 

Is it just emails from these two forums that were effected or any other addresses? 

soosie
On our wavelength

@Ashleigh_C it has only been these 2 forums so far  - apart from the occasional obvious spam email from other sources.

I've had/got Broadband connection issues this morning. When I first logged on, although my PC was showing an internet connection, I kept getting "DNS server unavailable" type messages for a number of sites I regularly use including Virgin Media so couldn't check the spam situation. However in the last few minutes a number of emails have popped up in my Outlook inbox including some from the forum that was problematic - BUT I'm still getting a "this site can't be reached " ERR_HTTP2_PROTOCOL_ERROR" message when trying to connect to My Media .

I've tried to ring Virgin to get help with the Broadband connectivity issue but couldn't get through - "there is a fault please try later" - so assume that there are problems at Virgin with your servers ? Hopefully all issues will be resolved soon,

Edited at 0856 to add that I've finally been able to connect to my email page on Virgin website and find that there are 8 messages held in Spam from the one forum. 

Hi soosie,

Thanks for getting back to us, and sorry for the issues you had with your services yesterday.

We'll need to do a bit more digging into the email issue so we can find out what's causing it. I've sent you over a private message so I can take some details.

Thanks

Beth