Menu
Royphot
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Not sending but receiving on Win 10

I have just changed my Win10 Email to Virginmedia from Talktalk. my main account can receive but can't send. continually getting a message "needs Attention". Check ports and all other fields but nothing changed.  Had about 10 attempts to get passwords the same when joining here tonight.

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Not sending but receiving on Win 10

Hi Royphot,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! I'm sorry to hear you've been having some trouble sending emails out.

Can you confirm if you're able to log into your emails via our web page okay? 

Thanks,

Beth

0 Kudos
Royphot
Joining in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Yes. Webmail works fine.  The Win 10 Email client can receive, but neither of my accounts can send. The message just goes into "Outbox".  I keep getting asked to update my passwords. Doing so makes no difference, a few minutes later it is asking again.   When I tried signing up for the forum it took about 10 attempts to get the sign in system to accept the "confirm" pasword, even though I redid the original and the confirm very very slowly and carefully.  It was fairly obvious that the problem lay in your system.   

I had no problem whatsoever setting up a new Email account with Gmail, which is something I didn't want to have to do.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hello

First I would suggest to following to find the error that you are getting on your email client :- Look here to get the error logs:- https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237..., if you do have an VM305 error then more than likely the spambot was asleep as spamhaus will automatically remove after 2 days of no spam activity, if error then follow :- https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40...

You can check your listing yourself but there is no point requesting removal until you have found and deleted the spambot. https://www.spamhaus.org/query and type in your external IP you can gets this my typing "whats my ip" into google.

If you are running Hola VPN Free, then note But Hola Free VPN is anything but a VPN.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Anankha
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

If you’re using Windows Mail app ensure the server settings are set corrrectly:
imap.virginmedia.com:993:1
smtp.virginmedia.com:465:1
SSL yes
Full email address as username.

If you allowed the app to set up the account automatically then it may have set it incorrectly.

0 Kudos
Royphot
Joining in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

hi Ananka.

Thanks for the reply.  Yes I have checked all the port settings and everything is exactly as advised on the Help system and as you have shown.  The problem still seems to be with the passwords.

0 Kudos
Royphot
Joining in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks GJ Shadow. 

I am using the mail client built into Win 10 and there does not appear to be any way of getting to " error logs"

0 Kudos
Royphot
Joining in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

This was posted over a week ago. I have had one response (a question) from a Forum Team member (Beth) to which I replied , but nothing to suggest how to solve my problem. I am still unable to use my Email client to send Emails, and I am not a happy camper. If you are having a system problem, then why not just say so?
0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Royphot 

VM have about 13 different errors on their system that will cause a login to fail.  All of these to the uninitiated look like a password issue.  But only one of them is actually down to a password error, the others cause the login to fail for other reasons - for example too many different usernames used from a single IP within a given period of time.

The server is currently up and running and performing as I would expect it to.

There is a way of finding out what the error message is without having to rely on email logs.

Windows 10 includes the curl command and we can use this to test the smtp server.

1. Type cmd into the Windows 10 search bar and press Enter
  2. Type in the following command 

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com:465 "username:password"​

Replace username with your email address and password with your password. e.g. "joebloggs@blueyonder.co.uk:mypassword" (Note the quotes and the colon MUST be used as given).

• You'll see a load of what appears to be nonsense.  Please don't post the whole lot instead you're looking for a line similar to the following:

< 535 5.7.8 Authentication Credentials Invalid (VM300)​

The above line is the one we want to see.  In my case the 535 error was a genuine one - Here's what I got when I used a valid username and password pair.  I would normally expect to see a 535 or 525 error at login time.  If 525 then it's vital that you let us know what the VM code is.

< 235 2.7.0 ... authentication succeeded

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Royphot
Joining in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.

I might have a go at finding the error codes, but I am inclined to think it would just be easier to forget about Virgin Mail.

Gmail seems to be working fine for me, and I have just tried out Outlook Mail which also seems OK.

Roy

0 Kudos