Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Not receiving emails

Hi I wonder if someone can help me.

For some reason I have stopped being able tk receive emails from someone who used to be able to send then to me without any problems. They just started getting a bounce back message one day. 

Its concerning me because I'm worried this has happened with other senders and I'm not receiving important emails. Here is the message they are getting when they try to email me. Does anyone know why this might be happening or what I can do to fix the problem? Thanks

20200712_091512.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Not receiving emails

Can you confirm the sending domain?  Not the full email address, just the bit that comes after the @ symbol.

@ModTeam 

I think that VM need to have a closer look at these as this is not the first time I've seen this error message.  The similarity with other posts would lead me to think that the same hosting provider is involved.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply.

Its '@portmanhealthcare.co.uk'

Is there anything I need to do my end to fix the issue? I cant seem to find a way of contacting virgin media directly about this

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media's forum team will respond, but in a serious vein, issues like this should be chased properly by the sending host.

If the message is to be believed, when they try to send, the inbound mail exchanger has been failing for some time.  Were I running the email service, I'd want to be properly investigating what's happening here.

I can tell you for a fact that the inbound hosts are definitely working.  I sent a mail from my own server to my blueyonder.co.uk address, and this uses the same inbound host information as virginmedia.com

ravenstar68@box:~$ dig +short mx virginmedia.com
1 mx.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net.
ravenstar68@box:~$ dig +short mx blueyonder.co.uk
1 mx.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net.

So if the hosts were down the Forum would be full of people who aren't receiving mail, from all sorts of providers.

I've seen a few bounces with exactly the same wording though, which is why I think the senders should be taking the matter seriously and actually working with VM rather than sticking a message to say "Hosts have been failing for some time."  It's the ultimate buck passing IMHO.

A mail send runs in several stages

1. Find hostname/s of mail exchanger/s for recipient
  2. Connect to host
  3. Greet host with HELO
  4. send sender address
  5. send recipient address
  6. send data

A fail can happen at any of those steps, If a send fails at step 2 or 3 then Virgin Media won't even have a log of the sender or recipient address.  At the most they'd have the IP address and possibly the reported FQDN of the sending host.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@jknighton 

Doing some digging around this looks to be a faulty server as the senders end

https://en.stealthsettings.com/fix-exim-error-hosts-domain-tld-failing-long-time-retry-time-reached....

It's linked to a faulty database at the sending servers end.

Tim

0 Kudos