cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving emails via Mail on MacPro

makemray
On our wavelength

Hello, Emails suddenly stopped being received a couple of days ago on my Macpro Laptop apple Mail. No changes made to anything.  I can still receive emails on my mobile phone and also if I open up my email account via Virginmedia I can receive emails. How can this be resolved?

12 REPLIES 12

makemray
On our wavelength

Just to add I have generated a new app password and changed that on the mail account for Virginmedia and still I am not receiving emails. 

Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 10.35.54.png

makemray
On our wavelength

I can send out emails from the mail account on my laptop. 

makemray
On our wavelength

These are my settings . I have not changed them at all since all was working well. Is there anything wrong with these ?

Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 11.05.13.png

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try using the recommended settings of:

Incoming (either IMAP or POP3)

Account typeIMAP POP3
Usernamerichard.branson@virginmedia.com richard.branson@virginmedia.com
Server port993 995
AuthenticationPassword Password
SSL/TLSYes Yes
Server hostimap.virginmedia.com pop3.virginmedia.com

Outgoing (SMTP)

Account typeSMTP
Usernamerichard.branson@virginmedia.com
Server port465
AuthenticationPassword
SSL/TLSYes
Server hostsmtp.virginmedia.com

[Source: Email settings change]

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

thank you, I thought about doing this but wanted to know why it had stopped working when there were previously no issues and settings had not been touched? 

Also an update is it must be just a Virgin thing as I have received a couple of emails via Google mail box. 

Hello again, okay I went into my settings and tried to change the POP3 Incoming settings. It will not allow me to change from POP3 to IMAP so I used the 995 for the server port. I get the message as seen attached. The password dots number 8. My password for Virginmedia has many more characters. The last time this sort of thing happened regarding our account that affected my wife's phone access the tech virgin people had to get involved and change things remotely. 

Screenshot 2023-11-23 at 13.36.47.png

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you definitely using the generated app password together with the full email address as the username and password in the app settings?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

makemray
On our wavelength

You don't use the same generated app password in the settings as you do in the mail app do you ?  Other wise how are my mail accounts working okay? If that is the case I will have to generate a new app password and place in my virginmedia account POP3 settings as well as in the Apple Mail app settings . Is that what you suggest ?

makemray
On our wavelength

other mail accounts I mean are working okay .