cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving emails on secondary email account

emailtrouble
Joining in

Hello, 

I have a secondary email account that is not receiving emails. It can send emails.

I have reset the password to no avail.

I have only just found out the account has been like this for some time.

The email was set up as forenamesurname@virginmedia.com and I can login with that email address however in the settings it is forename.surname@virginmedia.com is that significant?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

2 REPLIES 2

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@emailtrouble wrote:

The email was set up as forenamesurname@virginmedia.com and I can login with that email address however in the settings it is forename.surname@virginmedia.com is that significant?

If by "settings" you are referring to the IMAP or POP3 server settings in the email app you are using to manage your Virgin Media emails then not only is it significant, it's absolutely crucial.

If your  email address is forenamesurname@virginmedia.com but  the email address in your incoming server settings has a dot between your first and second name then the email app will consistently fail to download any incoming messages.

As far as VM are concerned,  forename.surname@vriginmedia.com (with the dot) is a completely different email account to yours. In fact it is quite possible that someone with the same name as you has set up a VM email account with a dot in their address. However, if they have, they will have a different password to yours so you will not be picking up their emails.

To be fair, some email services, notably Gmail do ignore any fullstop / period / dot symbols in an email address but that is quite unusual.

You definitely need to update the email address in your settings so it is exactly the same as the address you originally set up with VM.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I agree with the answer, the login is the correct email address.

A dotted version is completely different and may exist (another person)-(the dot is recognised)

I usually register both undotted and dotted versions in my own name to avoid confusion, one is just  a spare but prevents a similar email being created by someone with the same name which can be a nightmare, and result in getting other peoples mail.

The settings should match the username used for the email login, but I would advise the virgin contact email to be different, better for recovery to have a recovery email/contact (non-virign) email listed.

In google gmail the dot is not recognised so the two address would be the same. (this is the only exception)

There have been issues recently with email not been received by virgin email.

see

Re: Email forwarding not working from another doma... - Virgin Media Community - 4998000

alf28