forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
grove_house
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Not receiving emails from one particular user

For some time I have not been receiving any emails on my @blueyonder.co.uk address sent by one particular user on @purleysportsclub.co.uk, even though I successfully receive emails from other users on @purleysportsclub.co.uk. Also my wife, who has a very similar email address to mine on @blueyonder.co.uk, has no problem receiving these same emails.

How could this be? I have checked SPAM and the blacklist but see nothing there.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Not receiving emails from one particular user

Have you checked your Filter Rules?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
grove_house
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your suggestion.

I don't use filters as far as I know, although I do use the blacklist facility.

I have been trying to display any filters according to the virginmedia help but the system doesn't seem to work the way they say, and I can't get a listing of any existing filters.

Do you know why not? Am I being stupid?

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@grove_house wrote:

I have been trying to display any filters according to the virginmedia help but the system doesn't seem to work the way they say, and I can't get a listing of any existing filters.

Try following the 4 step guide in this screen shot.

Once you've logged into Webmail from here https://mail.virginmedia.com  click on the 3 black horizontal bars (1 in the screenshot below) and then click on circled icons 2, 3 and 4 as they come up.

filter rules steps.png

If you are not seeing that, post a screen shot of what you are seeing but make sure to obscure any email addresses or personal information before you post it.

Be aware that if you have used the blacklist option that will show up as a filter rule in the list. Blacklisting is just a quick way of setting up a simple rule.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
grove_house
Tuning in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again.

I have done as you said but, under the heading 'Email Filter Rules' the only entry mentioned is 'blacklist' (I would attach the screenshot but don't see how to do it!).

Therefore, it seems there is no filter rule for the offending email address. The blacklist was set up after the missing email problem first started - it has about 100 entries, but not the address concerned.

So I am still at a loss!

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Your device is receiving the mobile version of the user interface and this does not include the Filter Rule option. Either try:

• request the desktop version of the site if your device's browser supports this feature
  • zoom the view of the web page out as far as possible and then refresh the page
  • use a mobile device with a larger display (i.e. higher resolution) or a desktop device
0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@grove_house wrote:

I have done as you said but, under the heading 'Email Filter Rules' the only entry mentioned is 'blacklist' (I would attach the screenshot but don't see how to do it!).

If you are seeing "Filter rules" as ringed in the left hand panel of the screenshot in my last post then, as I said in my post, blacklist shows up there because it is just a special type of filter. Since that is the only filter you are seeing it means you have no other filters set.

So I am still at a loss!

Not quite! 😉Your next step is to contact the relevant person at Purley sports club and see if they get an error message back saying "message undeliverable" when they try to send to your Virgin Media / Blueyonder address. If they are, then what reason is being given for being unable to deliver it?

While you are talking to them, just confirm that they are definitely using your correct address. I now it sounds silly but that would not be the first time that emails do not get delivered to the intended recipient. 😮

Coenoby

If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
grove_house
Tuning in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Further thanks for your additional comments.

I started pursuing this missing email problem by talking to Purley Sports Club (as you suggest). They say that their system says that the email has been successfully sent and that they don't get back any message about it being undeliverable. They have talked to their IT support and developers and cannot see any problem at their end. Hence I have come to you.

As I said in my first post, what is interesting is that I successfully receive emails from other addresses on @purlesportclub.co.uk; also my wife, who has a similar @blueyonder.co.uk address to mine, receives these missing messages without problem.

This is a real conundrum!

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@grove_house wrote:

This is a real conundrum!

But I'm not giving up!

Looking back at your posts, I note that you do not mention that you have checked your VM spam folder for the missing emails. Bear in mind though that VM deletes spam messages after 30 days.

If your spam folder is empty then I would check the spam settings in you email account.   You will see it is next in the list under "Filter rules" in the left hand pane in my earlier screen shot. Make sure it is not set to "Reject All SPAM messages".

I know the Sports Centre say that everything is fine at their end but here is one final check you should do. Can you send a test email from your blueyonder account to the "problem" sports centre user and cc'd (copy it to) to your wife's blueynder account? Ask them to send an email reply to you and your wife using the "Reply to all" option in their email service. Based in what you have said, your wife should receive their reply but let's see if you receive their reply?

I would point out that since:

•  your wife's Blueyonder account accepts emails from this sender at the sports centre
  • you can receive emails from other senders using @purlesportclub.co.uk email addresses.

As it only effects affects 2 email accounts I don't think the problem is caused by an obscure technical error  in either or both the VM email system or the sports centre's email service. We can also rule out IP or email domain blacklisting. It seems most likely that the fact you are not receiving emails from one specific @purlesportclub.co.uk account is caused either by:

• a setting in your blueyonder email account is blocking or blacklisting incoming emails for that specific user's address.....or
  • a setting in that specific user's email account is causing emails they send to you to "disappear". (I'll say it again, possibly they have an incorrrect address for you in their contact list. The sports centre's IT support are unlikely to have checked that.)

Coenoby

0 Kudos
grove_house
Tuning in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Just to say that we cannot do the test you recommend just at the moment as the sports club office is closed for the weekend. We'll try to get it done on Monday.

0 Kudos